Shrink-flation: Post your examples

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Toothpaste is one my biggest gripes, most have gone to 75ml as their standard size but the box remains the same size and the price has gone up to take into account consumer inflation.

At Christmas my wife also buys tubs of stuff like biscuits and chocolates and they have steadily been reducing in size by reducing the height of the tubs.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Umm….wonder if c0ntraceptives shrunk in size, if so, we’re d00med - rise of STDs and unwanted pregnancies costing $$$$$$

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For several years I've bought the tiny "sample" size of Dawn because the cost per ounce wasn't much different than the big bottle but mainly because about the time its spout was getting nasty it was empty and I could toss it and open a new full bottle with a clean spout.

They've risen in price from $1 each to $1.22 in the last 2 years, a 22% increase in price for the same volume but here's the latest, bought last week: the price is still $1.22 at Wally World BUT the size has shrunk from 7.5 oz. to 5.8 oz. , a 22% decrease in volume for the same price! The only "good news" here is that there is a noticeable difference in size unless you're not paying attention.

So that's 44% total shrink-inflation for this product in 2 years...22% cost increase, 22% volume decrease. :mad:

Thanks, Brandon!

dawn_shrinkflation_031524.jpg I-did-that.jpg

Last edited: