Side-by-side comparison of Dahua Z4, Z12, mini PTZ and a Reolink.

simonx314

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is a side-by-side comparison between the popular Dahua Z12 and Z4 varifocal cameras, Dahua's new SD4A425DB mini PTZ, and a 4k Reolink. I will use the Z12 and the auto-tracking PTZ to watch the public walking trail next to my yard, and move the Z4 and Reolink elsewhere, but while all four cameras are in the same place, I figured I would make a comparison video.

The Dahua's are set to H.264H CBR 8192kbps 15fps. Picture settings default. The Reolink is default settings, 15fps. The subject is 50' from the cameras.

Cameras:
  • Dahua IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E
  • Dahua IPC-B5442E-Z4E
  • Dahua SD4A425DB-HNY PTZ
  • Reolink RLC-810A

In these screen grabs, the Z4, PTZ and Reolink are digitally zoomed to match the Z12's optical zoom. I am looking for the best identification-quality face shot as I have plenty of other overview cams.

face comparison Large.jpeg

dollor comparison.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the comparison.

While default/auto may work for the daytime, not many of us would recommend default/auto settings, especially at night.

You mentioned the subject is at 50 feet, so I would expect the fixed cam Reolink (either 2.8mm or 3.6mm) to be the worse performer despite having the most MP.

What zoom did you have the Z12E and Z4 at - were they at max zoom, so 64mm for the Z12E and 32mm for the Z4? If so, it also proves what I often say that I like the subjects larger on the screen to get the best attempt at IDENTIFY.

This comparison also shows the value of having fixed cams along with a PTZ.

This also shows that the 2MP Z12E is still a great contender and can beat higher MP cams in certain applications and goes along well with further proving my thread on the importance of focal length over MP.

simonx314

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, Z4 and Z12 are at max zoom. I will set separate exposure settings for day and night, either manual or shutter priority to ensure there is no blur as there are fast moving joggers and bicycles on the trail. For the comparison I figured it would be fair to leave them on auto.

simonx314

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did a night test with a running subject. There was a lot of extra IR light since all cameras' illuminators were on at the same time. I was expecting the Z12 to look the best, but I think I prefer the Z4, because I can see much more of the surrounding area and the subject's full body, with just as much if not more detail. Maybe I don't have the settings adjusted quite right.

The PTZ was focus hunting the whole time. Only one of it's frames was in focus.

The Reolink did better than usual with all the extra IR illumination.

Night 4-up.png

Z12
Night Z12.png

Z4
Night Z4.png

Here are the settings for the Z4 and Z12. The PTZ was also set to manual shutter 0 to 20ms, NR at 30, but all picture settings left on 50.
Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 11.34.03 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 11.33.56 PM.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Doing comparison tests of cams with different focal lengths is problematic. The really only way to compare apples to apples is to set them all at the same focal length/field of view.

Additionally, one should set each cam to the best possible exposure parameters for the specific view. Keeping them at default settings tells you nothing of how well each of them can perform. Optimizing their respective parameters and getting the best possible video is the only way to make a fair comparison. No one cares about how well they perform at default settings.

If you are trying to decide between cams for a PARTICULAR point of view, then set each up to their best focal length and exposure parameters and then decide.

simonx314

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Doing comparison tests of cams with different focal lengths is problematic. The really only way to compare apples to apples is to set them all at the same focal length/field of view.

Additionally, one should set each cam to the best possible exposure parameters for the specific view. Keeping them at default settings tells you nothing of how well each of them can perform. Optimizing their respective parameters and getting the best possible video is the only way to make a fair comparison. No one cares about how well they perform at default settings.

If you are trying to decide between cams for a PARTICULAR point of view, then set each up to their best focal length and exposure parameters and then decide.
I agree the test is problematic. It was just an idea I had right before uninstalling the 2 cameras and replacing them, why not compare how all 4 perform at identification. The Reolink doesn’t belong, but 3-up doesn’t fit nicely in a comparison and I figured this audience would enjoy the Reolink getting beat-down by the better cams.

as for default settings, I have experimented with settings quite a bit, and in bright sunlight, would the test have come out any different? At night for sure but this was just a straightforward day test. The varifocals were at max zoom, and the PTZ auto tracking was attempting to zoom to the highest target ratio I found could reliably track, and it still lost tracking as soon as I turned up the trail.

For me, this test was about my journey of learning from this site. My first camera was a Reolink, and now I have learned what cameras to use to get an identification-grade face shot. Maybe it will help people deciding which varifocal to get and/or a PTZ and to avoid cheap “4k” cameras.

simonx314

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I understand why the test could be considered problematic. It was just an idea I had right before uninstalling the 2 cameras and replacing them, why not compare how all 4 perform at identification. The Reolink doesn’t belong, but 3-up doesn’t fit nicely in a comparison and I figured this audience would enjoy the Reolink getting beat-down by the better cams.

As for default settings, I have experimented with settings quite a bit, and in bright sunlight, would the test have come out any different? At night for sure but this was just a straightforward day test. The varifocals were at max zoom, and the PTZ auto tracking was attempting to zoom to the highest target ratio I found could reliably track, and it still lost tracking as soon as I turned up the trail.

For me, this test was about my journey of learning from this site. My first camera was a Reolink, and now I have learned what cameras to use to get an identification-grade face shot. Maybe it will help people deciding which varifocal to get and/or a PTZ and to avoid cheap “4k” cameras.