Simple Wi-Fi Controlled Camera

canalrun

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking for a simple IP camera that I can use to take a snapshot when someone rings my doorbell.

I have a Home Automation system controlling my doorbell. When someone presses the button it triggers the home automation system to flash lights all around the house and send an email to myself saying the doorbell was pressed at a specific time.

I would also like to send a command to a camera mounted near the front door to take a snapshot of whoever is there storing the snapshot in its local memory.

The scenario I have in mind is that the camera is connected to my local Wi-Fi network. I can send a network command to have it take a picture and store it to its local memory. I can later connect to its built-in browser to view the stored picture.

There are tons of solutions for motion detected security cams and doorbell cams, but these are overkill, can be expensive, and there is too much motion near my front door for them to work properly.

It would be nice to just take a snapshot on command.

Does anyone know of a simple camera that will take a snapshot on command – hopefully only locally connected to my Wi-Fi network and would allow me to browse the stored photos?

Thanks,
Barry.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
most inexpensive wifi board cameras rely on the cmos sensor for detecting light changes (movement), in order to activate the notification (snapshot as well), instead of using a separate push-contact. One option may be applying power (a relay from your automation system) for "power-on" the camera board when someone push your doorbell contact, in order to initiate a push notification (picture and video recorded in microSD). The problem is that it takes time to initiate the process (power-up), taking several seconds to setup/normalize (25 Sec +)

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here's what I would try:
Get an Amcrest IP2M-841 that's a good $35-40 IP camera. It needs 5v dc power and protection from rain. It has remote pan/tilt.
Set up the camera with Web UI so that snapshot is stored on SD card on motion detection.
When snapshots and/or recording is desired, enable/disable camera motion detection by using the "set motion detect config" http command from Amcrest API.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

canalrun

n3wb
Reaction score
Here's what I would try:
Get an Amcrest IP2M-841 that's a good $35-40 IP camera. It needs 5v dc power and protection from rain. It has remote pan/tilt.
Set up the camera with Web UI so that snapshot is stored on SD card on motion detection.
When snapshots and/or recording is desired, enable/disable camera motion detection by using the "set motion detect config" http command from Amcrest API.
Very interesting camera. Thanks.

You seem to know a lot about this camera. I have been reading the documentation links you provided. I wonder if I could ask a few questions?

Is it possible to have the camera join my Wi-Fi network and allow me to use the camera's internal web UI ? From the documentation it seems that the local web interface requires a hard-wired ethernet cable. It would be physically impossible for me to use a hardwired connection.

If it is on my Wi-Fi network, would I be able to use the API?

Thanks,
Barry.

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, the camera can be accessed via the LAN router wifi using camera Web UI and API on a LAN device.