Single HDD or HDD+SSD?

Reaction score
I finally got my Blue Iris PC set up and running. I currently have a single WD Purple HDD in it. Would there be any benefit to putting the OS and software on an SSD versus having everything on a single HDD?

Olddawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought a Crucial BX300 120GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD for $35 and it works great for this. (There is a new model for less than $30.) Windows 10 Pro and BI only use about 25 GB so there is plenty of room for other applications if needed.

jas

n3wb
Reaction score
Somewhat related question: I have a spare unused SSD which I was planning to use to replace my HDD for my BI clips (my OS and BI are already on an SSD). Is it worth going to the trouble of swapping my drives, will I see a noticeable performance improvement doing so? I suppose one advantage is durability? Thanks.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Somewhat related question: I have a spare unused SSD which I was planning to use to replace my HDD for my BI clips (my OS and BI are already on an SSD). Is it worth going to the trouble of swapping my drives, will I see a noticeable performance improvement doing so? I suppose one advantage is durability? Thanks.
Negative.

HDD's designed for surveillance duty (like WD Purple) take into account the extreme duty cycle and lengthy writes that conventional HDD's (like WD Blue) do NOT normally have to contend with. SSD's are similar in that design instance to conventional HDD's.

Yeah, you may see a boost in performance writing surveillance clips to the SSD but not for long.....it's not designed for that kind of duty.

I'd stick with an A-V rated HDD (like WD purple) for the BI video clips. Put the O/S and BI program on the SSD.