Single USB Outlet Solution?

Bonifacio

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking to add a USB power outlet near the ceiling above an existing outlet.

I've thought of everything. But it's either not to choose or unreasonably expensive.

Just want a USB outlet to power a wireless cam. Any suggestions?

I've thought of adding a single receptable and charger in the wall. Run the cable up to a wall mounted extension. Furniture USB mount, but that still requires the receptacle behind the wall.
Just can't find a regular outlet with charger built into the receptable.
Legrand has one but it's ridiculously price for what it is.

Bonifacio

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, which is why I didn't just grab them. The one recommended just has too many outlets. Wanted something clean so it was just the one USB outlet.

Was hoping to find a single gang outlet. Something like this with the receptacle guts. I might have to get a standard USB socket and just 3d print a wall plate to hide the rest.

Attachments

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
About the most simple that I see on a quick look. Not single but not too bad. Could print little plugs to cover the others if you wanted without much trouble. Agree with the UL listed comments above which is why I posted that one. This one also says that it is.

Some other 2-outlet ones but they're all cheap and not UL.

If you really have to have just one, maybe something like this with a keystone USB. Put the "guts" in the wall and run a short USB extension to it?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Bonifacio

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, trying to keep it safe and to code. Just been scouring the internet to try and find a clean solution.

Appreciate the input guys. This has been bugging me for months.

The Maxxima vertical Charger isn't too bad. Wanted to try to find cleaner, it has to be out there. Amazon is blocked where I'm at this moment. While trying to search it I did come across this. This might be the one as long as it has the outlet "guts". Lol.

EDIT: Looks like it doesn't exist and takes me to the one you posted. Just the same as below just dual.

1660848281431.png

For the second one you posted, this was what I was thinking of. Just couldn't think of a way to power it safely and keep in code. I could only think of adding a single receptacle and placing the plug in charger inside the wall. The good thing is the drywall in that spot is right next to the A/C intake area. I could open up the drywall inside that Harry Potter room so it's sitting out. I guess that's an option, but doesn't apply to the other 3.

1660848854395.png

1660848399180.png
1660848418585.png

Last edited:

Bonifacio

n3wb
Reaction score
I think I got it.

Connect second recessed outlet to the existing lower one.
1660851590302.png
Set small USB charger inside. Either make a new face plate or add another on top with a USB port.

Maybe design one from scratch to fit a single outlet. To be a nice little square or circle. Solved!

This also might work. Might just go this route or backwards engineer one of these. The kits have this cable.

There's also this which is used for hanging tv cable management by Legrand. They're ETL listed, which is sort of like UL listed.
1660853182968.png

I'll post what I come up with in case others are interested or have any use for it.

Panasonic used to make one:

I guess it updated to this:

Quick skim and maybe it didn't sell as well as they thought. Probably expensive like the Levitons.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, in most cases people are looking for more vs fewer with something like this.

Bonifacio

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, in most cases people are looking for more vs fewer with something like this.
I get that for general purpose outlets. But there has to be wireless cam installs or other products that just require a single power course.

Bonifacio

n3wb
Reaction score
If anyone ever comes across this and needs a solution here is what I settled with.

First I made a box. Tinkercad. 3D printed them.
Not too big, not too small. Built for these chargers: Pretty flush with the wall. Minimal faceplates attached by small magnets. Seemed genius, but wouldn't be to code.
Was going to redo it, but scrapped it.
6e29128c2f926245f90c024c77a13979045b175c.jpg

I ended up grabbing the Legrand Adorne Single USB outlets. Only switched it up because I found a bunch for $5.20 each. Grab some old work boxes. Now just getting around to installing it. Made faceplates for a nice flush fit.

c07d202adb56777f743cae74a0d33134db0918cf.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.