Skunks playing in my front yard

Heyok

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Every morning I check through the alerts on my Blue Iris system to see if anything has happened overnight. There has been a guy going around checking car doors to see if they are locked. Sometimes better things happen though! A little after 10pm three skunks were wandering through the front yard. I like to be a respectful distance away if at all possible. They are fun to watch sometimes!

Skunk video on Youtube

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
We see fox, raccoon, deer, an occasional possum but have never seen a skunk. I did catch a video of what I think was a nutria when one of our neighbors was adding a lot of fill to his yard that backs up to a small creek. Wish I still had that video :(

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I've seen stray cats getting it on :facepalm: pisses me off all the time due to the sole fact that they tip over the garbage and just like their racoon counterparts, tend to rip garbage bags open exposing everyday trash (you know what I mean ;) )

Heyok

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
We see fox, raccoon, deer, an occasional possum but have never seen a skunk. I did catch a video of what I think was a nutria when one of our neighbors was adding a lot of fill to his yard that backs up to a small creek. Wish I still had that video :(
I had to go look up "nutria". They look like they wouldn't be too bad to have around, but I guess they are an invasive species.

Heyok

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes great capture!
What model is that second camera? Great image
Thank you.
Both cameras are the same model.

DS-2CE72HFT-F28
5 MP ColorVu Fixed Outdoor Turret Camera

I think the reason it looks better than the other camera is because I have a motion-activated light above it.
These captures were a couple of hours after sunset. There are streetlights nearby though.

I installed the motion light because it gets people's attention when they walk past our cars. Too many break-ins and door lock checks happening over here and I hoped that would reduce it. So far, so good!

These two cameras work so well! More than $200 each up here but you get a picture at night that is probably adequate to help identify the SOBs that have been doing their work here.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I had to go look up "nutria". They look like they wouldn't be too bad to have around, but I guess they are an invasive species.
Yes, they are listed as invasive but that is the first, last and only one I've ever seen. As a kid I used to spend most of the summer in the woods if we weren't at the beach. Watching it walking in the video I think it was injured by the filling/grading operations but I really can't be sure. It would limp about 20 feet then sit and seem to catch its' breath. Felt bad for it.

Last edited: