Slanted soffit problem

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a place where I need camera's mounted under a slanted soffit at weird angles.
Any ideas on how to mount a turret (like a 5442) best to be able to look under the gutter? The gutter is just ~1.90m above ground.
Another option would be to mount on the wall, but that's less preferable.
Would prefer to be able to do it using standard hardware.

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
You could fabricate a flat metal plate which attaches to the sloping piece of wood that the gutter attaches to, the plate would drop down below the wood with a bend to then make it parallel to the wall, if you know what I mean. Then bolt/mount the camera to the lower part of the plate.

Also don’t forget that however you attach the cameras they will need to be at least a few inches below the line of the gutter else you’ll risk getting IR reflection problems at night if you use IR.

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
WOW! I like that construction! Thatch roof maybe be a bit iffy for those of us without any experience with it. With heavy steel gutters like that maybe a magnetic mount to the gutter and then screwed to the camera base. My first thought though was tucking a ceiling fan mount onto an electrical box up on the soffit. That would let you choose a downrod of the correct length to get your height. Once it is plumb, maybe construction adhesive to keep it from swaying like it is designed to do.

Found on amazon america

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Pole mount is a good option, Dahua accessories found here.

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just looked at an unmounted 5442 and do not think that my ideas work without excessive modification. I think the cleanest option is to put a 2x6 between the soffit boards, level it out and paint to match. Then using a pole mount like @DsineR mentions above. The PF300C should work and can be dropped further if needed with a PFA113.

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Great ideas, thank you guys!
The problem with the plate idea would be that one could bang its head easily at this height, which wouldn't be nice to sheetmetal.
When I think of pole mounts I think of the ones which let you mount a camera to a pole, like PFA152-E, but I think I know what you mean @DsineR and @fergenheimer, I think that could be really neat.
I also had the idea below using a PFB204W wallmount (marked in red), excuse my crude drawing, but that will involve screwing it to the gutter and thus getting a cable in there. Still a possibility, as this mount is nicely rounded off.
1654759267964.png
I will probably just mount in them to the brick wall with a PFB204W.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
How about a junction box mounted to the center of the "A" in the gutter supports. A strap or braces screwed into the top of the box and then over the support. Would be simple to do and wouldn't require drilling or otherwise changing anything that's there. Hard to judge but looks like it would be pretty close to getting you down under the gutter.