Slow Refreshing of Clips

Lockwood

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I upgraded from Blue Iris 3.0 to 5.0 over the weekend. I still have Internet Explorer set to remotely access my cameras. For some reason, automatic refreshing of the clips takes quite some time compared to when I was on version 3.0. I have all the same settings set in 5.0 as I did in 3.0. Also, while on 3.0, I don't remember the clips refreshing, unless I had this turned off somehow. I have max frame rate set to 6 for remote viewing. I'm sure this issue has to do with my incredibly slow DSL upload speed of 1Mbps which actually hovers around .3Mbps when running speed tests. The UI3 in Chrome sometimes shows an error that my network speed is too slow and I'm sure it is attributed to the slow upload speed. A new cable company finally came to my location and I can get a package with 5Mbps upload speeds (I know, still slow but better than 1). Going to switch and see if this helps. I know I can use the UI3 in Chrome and Edge and I like the look of it so I may start to use that, but I just want to figure out why refreshing of clips takes so long. Is there a way to turn off refreshing? I see in the UI3, you can change the Streaming Quality. It was set at 1080p so I dropped it to 480p and I no longer get the error. Going to use the UI3 going forward and increase my upload speed. Still would like to know if I can disable automatic refreshing of clips without having to uncheck the option when viewing remotely in I/E.

Also, while viewing in UI3, I noticed there is no option to choose a camera to look at. I can click on a camera and it fills the screen, but then I have to click on it again to get back to my matrix so that I can select another camera to view. Why isn't there a list of cameras like the default view has (See attachment)? If there is and I missed it, please let me know where I can find it.

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello.

The old default.htm page for IE isn't very advanced, so it does not remember anything (like your preference to not refresh the clip list) from one session to the next. I can't say why it refreshes slowly either. It is still fast for me.

In UI3 I suggest two things. First, in the UI Settings, Video Player section, find the "Maximum H.264 Kbps" option and set it to a value that will work well with your upload rate. You say speed tests show about 0.3 Mbps upload so you should set this value to 300 or less. This should help avoid warnings about network speed. Second suggestion is to use one of the "VBR" streaming options at the top of the list. These are better optimized for low bandwidth and will often decrease the amount of bandwidth used by a video stream when nothing is moving. This helps reserve some of your remaining bandwidth for things like loading the clip list.