Small HDMI displays for (mostly) headless computer

pjl

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm in the process of putting together a Mac Mini running as a server running Security Spy. The Mini sits in my computer cabinet and runs headless. But there are those times when you just need to do something on console — which means attaching a display. I want one of those portable HDMI displays, ideally with a VESA mount so I can just push it out of the way when not needed.

I've found such displays by ASUS (e.g., ZenScreen MB16AC), Elecrow (e.g., Mini HDMI Portable Monitor), GeChic (e.g., 1503H 15.6"), Lepow (e.g., 15.6" display) and Newsoul (e.g., 15.6 Inch IPS HDR). Of those, I've only ever heard of ASUS.

Can anybody vouch for these? Or are most cheap stuff from Asia with lots of fake good reviews?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Ok FIRST OFF, I am out of my depth since you are working with a Mac Mini. I assume you don’t need fantastic resolution or refresh rate, and that you don’t have the option just to Remote Desktop 99.9% of the time?

But if this was a regular old PC, I’d have a look at 3 addl options:

1. If you have an existing monitor within reach of a long cable that has multiple inputs, you can often share it with two computers. I use this technique so I have 1 monitor in my network closet, I have it connected to BOTh my Blue Iris machine and pfSense firewall, and can choose between them.

2. Look for a rack mount LCD/keyboard combination on eBay. Those mount to standard computer cabinets, and are 2-3u when not in use (folded flat) and they pull out and the screen folds up when you need it.

3. Another option is hit our local Goodwill or Thrift store, I am never in the market for 17” and smaller screens but I see them all the time here locally, and you can check if they have a compatible plug. Upcycle one.

In both cases you might have to adapt from whatever video output the Mac supports to connect the monitor you select.

Last edited:

rodb

n3wb
Reaction score
If you have access to another mac get Apple Remote Desktop. I use it to access my Indigo automation server. I also use it to help my wife on her mac at times. It is one genuinely elegant piece of software.

pjl

n3wb
Reaction score
  • The Mac Mini has an HDMI video output, just like any modern computer. So the fact that it's a Mac and not a Windows machine is pretty irrelevant.
  • I'm specifically asking about purchasing a new display and not using any existing display I may have; nor picking up a used display at a Goodwill or equivalent. Regardless, there isn't any other display within reach.
  • The rack-mount keyboard/display combo is a good idea; unfortunately, the small cabinet I have is only 14.75" wide, not the requisite 17" wide.
  • Yes, I have another Mac and, yes, I use Screen Sharing most of the time. However, as I specifically stated in my original question, there are some times when you need to be on console (for example, when doing something like an OS update when Screen Sharing won't work).
So, again, I'm looking for specific recommendations for a new, small display, for example, among the ones I listed in my original question. Thanks.

Reaction score
I've seen the Raspberry PI one's used as second displays (usually inside a PC case to show off system metrics like temp/fans)- such as:
SunFounder 7 Inch HD TFT LCD Screen Monitor HDMI - 1024x600
They had HDMI input (well some of them). I haven't personally used them myself.

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know that iiyama make some really small monitors pjl, and they're decent as well.

rodb

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah but Apple Remote Desktop does work as if you were at the computer with monitor and keyboard. It works through OS updates perfectly. It reconnects automatically on restarts and you have full control as if you were sitting in front of it with a mouse and keyboard. Mine has been connected for a couple years and i've done OS and app updates as needed. It is set up to be a server so the computer reboots on power outages. The only thing I can think of that it cannot do is reformat the drive that the boot OS is on. It is nothing like Microsoft's version of Remote Desktop. Which is basically junk in comparison. I am only replying because of your misconception that it isn't a viable alternative. Just offering you information, which you are free to ignore. Apple Remote Desktop costs $79.99 and worth every penny.