Smart fire detector

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Anyone here can recommend a smart fire detector?
Living in a house with 3 floors, if I install a a simple fire alarm, I may not hear the alarm if i'm not on the same floor.
Thinking of installing a fire alarm that reports me via notification/network.
This way I will be able to receive notification to my mobile phone.

Maybe this question does not belong to ipcamtalk. However, guessing it is important for people who place their equipment in the attic or in the basement (to know about fire).

From what I know Zigbee based sensors look promising (supposed to be cheap and energy efficient)

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
In the USA, the laws require that any of the fire alarms that go off, they make the rest of the alarms sound the alarm too.
The ones that run off of the house power include a wire that connects them all together. I do believe you can get some
that use radio wireless to connect to the rest.

You might look through the security alarm section and see what you can find out about fire alarm systems.

d5775927

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks @concord.
I did some more research and saw Zigbee is preferred over z-wave (since Zigbee has better, range more open, see: Z Wave vs Zigbee: An In-depth Comparison (Big News in 2021!))

The best value for money product i'm considering is:

To avoid connecting Xiaomi to the internet I can use zigbee2mqtt using a raspberry pi an Zigbee dongle (Supported adapters).

This way I can have a Zigbee smoke detector with a battery that lasts 5 years and I can have more control on the notifications (without providing Xiaomi internet access).
This is the current plan, if someone tried something similar will be happy to hera.

Variman

n3wb
Reaction score
In a hot attic, a heat detector is what is used. The Temperature ratings are 194 degrees Fahrenheit for a very hot place or 134 degrees F for a garage. Obviously, these detectors need to be connected as you will not hear an alarm in an attic. Research the two types of smoke detectors, ionization and photo electric. They both have advantages and both types should be used in conjunction for maximum protection.

I know I did not answer your question about connectivity but believe that knowing which technology to use is important before purchasing.