Smart Motion Detection

ponyrider127

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does anyone know if BI uses Smart Motion Detection. My new camera has the capabilities but not my NVR. I would have to buy a new NVR just to be able to use the feature.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BI doesn't use Smart Motion Detection as it has their own way of doing motion detection. But if the camera can be seen in BI and has ONVIF, then you can usually pull those triggers over into BI.

ponyrider127

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was trying to eliminate all the intrusions boxes you have to do.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you do not want BI to handle the motion triggers and you want the camera to do it, then yeah it is possible. BI is very flexible with way more capabilities and more being added all the time.

ponyrider127

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you do not want BI to handle the motion triggers and you want the camera to do it, then yeah it is possible. BI is very flexible with way more capabilities and more being added all the time.
Dahua say's you have to have a SMD NVR for it to work. That's why I was hoping BI would handle it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are misunderstanding what I am saying - BI doesn't handle it but it will accept the motion trigger from the camera. It will show up as an external trigger.

There is no feature in BI that says "Smart Motion Detection". You set BI up to accept an ONVIF trigger and BI will accept that trigger whether it is SMD, MD, AI from the camera and will log it as an external trigger.

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey @wittaj,
I finally figured out to just use BI motion detection with my spotter cams. It seems to be working much better than trying to get IVS, human, or motion detection on the camera to trigger the PTZ. It seems the only signal sent via ONVIF is motion detection? Now, what I'm struggling with is that the 49225 moves to the zone, but won't do motion tracking once it moves there. It just sits and won't pick up "humans". Any pointers? If it sits for a little while it will start tracking, but I want it to do that immediately. I'm probably missing something simple!
Thanks for any help.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Probably something to do with field of views.

Post some video of what it does and a screenshot of the preset showing the IVs rules and I can probably offer some suggestions.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Move the edges of the intrusion box in away from all edges of the frame, IE make it smaller. The camera algorithm needs something to compare with to determine entrance into the intrusion area.

ponyrider127

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I notice you have it set to tripwire but have the intrusion box. Do you get 300 sec. of track?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make min size 0,0 and let the camera AI do it's thing. You only add a size IF you have a dog (or some animal) that keeps tripping it as a person.

A trip wire out on the edges drawn as a box is a recipe for disaster - the camera needs to first identify the object and by the time it does with a tripwire on the edge, the person is past it. Change it to an intrusion box with appears and crosses and you will have much more success.

Bitrate looks a little low and probably need to work on contrast/brightness.

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I set it to intrusion detection and changed the area to be smaller and it appears to be working. I also eliminated the miniumum size. I need to do some tweaking, but it's working now. Thanks!

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm getting it further dialed in. I really need to put that spot light on a switch. Right now it's motion activated and with the 2MP cameras, I don't need nearly as much light as what I needed for the 8MP cameras there before. That'll help with the contrast I'm sure. I'm actually impressed how well the camera did in that image considering 1 of those spot lights is directed in the general direction of the camera (boxed in red below). I put that spot light in before I considered the PTZ.
1650320837813.png

I'm not sure what was meant by the "bitrate looks a little low". But, it looks fine when I'm viewing the actual video, especially during the day (again, the camera is fighting those spot lights that aren't helping at night).

I think the 49225 will do fine with the ambient light and the IR from it and the 3 spotter cams I have out front. I got rid of the spotlight I had on the side yard when I got a 4MP 1/1.8" sensor camera there. I'm pretty sure the 49225 won't need the spot lights. I may have to tweak some settings, but I think it'll do fine with the available ambient light and the IRs. I'll get to testing that at some point. Of course there's probably an adage about you can never have enough light or a large enough sensor, but if I can get a reasonably quick shutter speed and take in enough light to identify someone on my property, that's really all I need, right?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Glad to see you are recognizing how much more light 8MP needs than 2MP! At night that is the difference between getting a clean image or not.

It may just be the snapshot, but I was referring to the bitrate looking low by looking at the left half of the image - it is blocks of chunks, which is either too low bitrate or H265.

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think I was originally setting the cameras to h265. I may still have that one set to that. I'll have to check.
I read your post here and anyone reading this questioning h265 should to: H.265 Smart Codec, i-frames, and CBR/VBR
I think I may still have some still set on vbr. I'm guessing that's a bad idea for similar reasons, give as much clear info to BI as possible for interpretation. I'll fix that too.

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Turns out that I didn't have H265 selected for the 49225, but I did have it on VBR. I set the camera back to default settings and changed it to straight up H264:
1650376804329.png
Everything look good?
Is there any value in having it set to H.264H, because that's what it defaults to?
I also changed the frame rate down to 15. I read that somewhere, any reason to bump it up (I think that recommendation was for a 4MP camera, and this one is 2MP)? I'd guess a lower frame rate would make for better video at night?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BI works best without any smart codec, so plain ole H264 is best.

I would bump the bitrate to 4096 at a minimum. Then go up and down until you see a difference. I run mine at 15,360 because when the camera is in motion tracking, it can benefit from a higher bitrate. Of course it if FoV dependent too, but don't just go by the static image. See what it looks like tracking.

Iframe rate is how often BI receives one full frame. If the FPS and iframe match, then it is once per second (cannot go any faster). You want to match FPS and iframe regardless of MP of the camera. If you made FPS as 15 and iframe as 30, then any object in and out of the frame in under 2 seconds will be missed as motion in BI.

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks @wittaj,
I set the FPS consistent based on another of your posts. I trust you on the 15360, and went ahead and set it that way. I'd guess that you came to that number from a number of tests. Of course as you state, that's for your camera in your setting. I'll have to do my own tests, but it's good to have a starting point...And it'll probably be good enough because there's ample light for this camera where I have it.