SmartPSS and PCNVR questions

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think many people start off with a combined NVR & camera package purchase just to get them started and some will progress further into purchasing better cameras and PC based NVR systems running Blue Iris, but most probably won't. My wife gets a lot of entertainment out of watching our security cameras and never in a million years would I have expected that. :lmao::lmao::lmao:
Just put in 2 cams (Dahau 2MP POE bullets) last week for a lady whose husband passed away 3 months ago. I had put in one 2MP Amcrest POE bullet for him 2 years ago on an Amcrest POE NVR I gave to him also. No HDD he just liked being able to press the button on a HDMI switch if he heard something and immediately see his front entrance on the 75" Sony TV!

He didn't want to record, just view his cam.

Then she wanted 2 more, one at the back porch to view the lake and her dock and one at the side to view the detached garage. She feels more secure, I guess, now that she's alone.

taprackbang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Irks me that I can’t find what these locations are actually for. This is on SmartPSS-Lite.

Attachments

taprackbang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I believe those are if you manual record a live snippet or snap a pic from the live view screen?
You’d think that wouldn’t you. Throws a error. Now I do not have the PCNVR setup right now, but it did the same thing when I did. Hence my confusion.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe recording from live stream doesn't work on the Lite version :lmao:

It has been several years since I tried, but the PCNVR software was very CPU intensive and a royal pain to try to navigate. Dare I say worse than the experience I had with an NVR using a mouse on a monitor to try to review stuff LOL.

taprackbang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Maybe recording from live stream doesn't work on the Lite version :lmao:

It has been several years since I tried, but the PCNVR software was very CPU intensive and a royal pain to try to navigate. Dare I say worse than the experience I had with an NVR using a mouse on a monitor to try to review stuff LOL.
Did it with the non lite version as well. The PCNVR wouldn’t let me use a network share so it didn’t have anywhere to save to. I may just have to passthrough the array so it sees it as a local drive and then go from there. Perhaps if I set that up and then try this again it will all jive.

I already have BI5 reinstalled and setup. But still trying out everything I can get my hands on. Probably tried seven or so NVR softwares in the past month to see what I prefer.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I just recorded a short clip and image from the live view. Only problem is the video records as .dav (Dahuas format) and it downloads their Smart Player to view it. You have to convert to something else yourself.

Odd because downloading of recorded footage from the NVR its using . vids are in mp4 format...

This was Lite version, no PC-NVR installed

taprackbang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just recorded a short clip and image from the live view. Only problem is the video records as .dav (Dahuas format) and it downloads their Smart Player to view it. You have to convert to something else yourself.

Odd because downloading of recorded footage from the NVR its using . vids are in mp4 format...

This was Lite version, no PC-NVR installed
Interesting. Perhaps it doesn’t like network shares.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Irks me that I can’t find what these locations are actually for. This is on SmartPSS-Lite.
Have you tried change the Pic path and Record path to your created folders instead of those created by SmartPSS Lite?

taprackbang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Got it. Network shares a no go. Had to switch it to a “local” drive. At least as far as it knows.

So bigredfish, can the SmartPSS Lite work alone as a “NVR” or is does it still need a actual nvr, be it standalone or PC? My assumption is a NVR is needed, just double checking.

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
nope just an interface to an external NVR (Dahua propietary I believe) that allows easier live view/playback/download so you dont have to login to the NVR
It can live record as we've shown short clips and snag image caps but it wont hold up to continuous record and there's no file system or ways to differentiate streams etc..

I havent tried to see where its limts on recording are, but it would just be one continous clip with no distinction for motion clips or IVS or search capability

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Plus I think doing a continuous live recording straight out of SmartPSS would be terribly inefficient and probably blow thru the storage fast. As Looney saw, I think it would result in frequent computer lockups.

taprackbang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Plus I think doing a continuous live recording straight out of SmartPSS would be terribly inefficient and probably blow thru the storage fast. As Looney saw, I think it would result in frequent computer lockups.
I’ve got a fair amount of space. Even if it did gobble it up pretty good, I’d likely be ok with it. Will setup the nvr and see how it goes.