Smudge on Lens

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I received a couple of "new" cameras from @EMPIRETECANDY and his refurbished list. I set the IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E on the porch and aimed it down the street. The car is about 225 feet from the camera, and the camera is NOT optimized, I was just making sure it all worked.

Until I saw the smudge. And cleaned the lens. Again. Again.... :eek: I was not a happy camper! Dang!! Turns out it was an IR reflection off the stop sign, which is only 125 feet from the camera. Whew!!

Lesson - reflections can be a bear!!

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes it is!

We have a new post here about once a month of someone thinking they have a smudge or dirt on their camera and it is usually IR reflection from something - and sometimes not even in the field of view!

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes it is!

We have a new post here about once a month of someone thinking they have a smudge or dirt on their camera and it is usually IR reflection from something - and sometimes not even in the field of view!
Yes! I was playing around with the camera, and noticed I got all sorts of bleed and interference when zoomed all the way in. From street lights and IR reflections. Both sides of the FOV were severely washed out at times, from things outside the FOV. This location has two other IR cameras, including another Z12E on LPR duty, so lots of IR out there. But, the reflections and impact was surprising.