So I've now installed several 500 foot CAT5 POE connected Hiks....

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
And I have had no issues at all. These are installed outdoors, up and down buildings and such in basic PVC conduit and have pole lights and building lighting around and the like. I have one right around 485-490 feet and then several others installed in the 400-450 foot range with no problems at all of any kind. These are all Hikvision cameras that I'm testing on right now and all are running on basic POE from my switch. These are all at one location, but I have a few other 400 foot plus runs going right now, one between switches that has been working fine for a few months now and shows zero errors in the managed switch logs.

I figured it was time to test it in real work conditions as I was getting fine results it the limited testing I was doing in my office. In the office I have 487 feet that I can connect to my desktop and laptop and still get gigabit speeds on, I connected it to a 4k TV and streamed 4k video with no issues at all and of course cameras worked perfectly.

Better yet, these long cable run cameras (10 IP cameras, 6 over 330 feet for sure) are all going back to a Ubiquity Nanostation wireless shot back to the DVR. The wireless has been working fine for 4 IP cameras for 1.5 years at least now so no worries there at least. I figure when testing why not go for broke! :) If I were to have run cable only my farthest camera would have been 1000 feet away so even analog was not going to work well. Now I see it in IP glory!

It will be interesting to see if this holds up, the location of this install is in a area of a TON of snow and the weather is brutal in the winter. If they hold up here then I will be very pleased!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Good luck! I am glad to hear cat5 works with that long of range.

I've been running several ubiquiti bridges for my dad's remote properties and they are all very reliable. I always make sure to use shielded cable with the required grounding wire. We've lost a few switches and even a PoE injector or two, due to power surges, but I think every ubnt radio I ever installed is still working.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mind sharing what brand cable you are using to make these runs, @Razer?

Its always good to hear of other people success stories. This way the knowledge can be spread for all to take in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Oh sure, not a problem at all. I am currently running Shireen cable like the link below:

http://www.amazon.com/Shireen-DC-1021-Outdoor-CAT5e-FTP/dp/B009WA56NK

I'm purchasing through a vendor of mine and getting a slightly better price than what I see there on Amazon, and I have also used the Ubiquiti Toughcable Pro in the past with good results. The Ubiquiti cable becomes hard to get at times so we tried the Shireen and so far so good. I have run an easy 50,000 feet of it so far with no cable related issues so I'm happy so far anyway. Now if I can't get my Shireen cable I'm going to blame you guys! :) I purchase 14-20,000 feet at a time which is likely getting me a better price too I suppose.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing... and gets yours now as there are only 4 left in stock ;)