So what POE switch is everyone using these days?

tward392

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My current one is a Ubiquiti ES-8XP, that doesn't seem to be available any longer. I have to set up a couple of cameras at my mother-in-laws, looking for a 4-8 port POE switch.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
The first iteration of network hardware was all based on Cisco. Later the second generation was based on Aruba. Than the last big push I migrated everything to the Ubiquiti ES line.

Never looked back since . . .

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I think it gets updated as people add or change switches, my last update on that thread was to say I had changed out my 8+2 port Trendnet switch for a HP/Aruba 2530 POE+ switch.

Some of the ex corporate switches can be had for real cheap, I'm in the UK and I think I paid around £20 for the 24 port layer 2 HP switch plus some money for petrol as I had to drive to go pick it up.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I have several installations of HPE Procurve switches I purchased off eBay. Some are 10 years old and still working like champs. At home, I run the Switch Lite 16.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am using a Netgear GS752TP and have been totally happy with it. It has PoE+ for my PTZs and PoE for my varifocals and Ruckus WiFi APs. Stable and reliable.

tward392

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am using a Netgear GS752TP and have been totally happy with it. It has PoE+ for my PTZs and PoE for my varifocals and Ruckus WiFi APs. Stable and reliable.
Thanks, don't need that many ports, don't think I ever would... but I see they have smaller ones as well.

So many switches to pick from it's nice to hear what is working good for others.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks, don't need that many ports, don't think I ever would... but I see they have smaller ones as well.

So many switches to pick from it's nice to hear what is working good for others.
Totally understandable but be mindful of future expansion. Slightly larger switches with more ports usually don't cost much more than their smaller siblings with fewer ports. Having that space to expand in the future may prove very valuable some day.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have been using a 'Brocade ICX6450 24 Port PoE switch' that I bought on eBay used for $150. There is a forum, don't remember which one at the moment, where someone was kind enough to post firmware updates, licenses and a walkthrough on how to update it. It has worked great for me so far, about 2 1/2 years now. These originally cost a couple thousand dollars brand new. Here is an example - a 48 port currently listed on eBay:

I started out with a simple 'TP-Link TL-SG1005P V2' 4 port (4 poe) for $45 from Amazon

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

NielK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My current one is a Ubiquiti ES-8XP, that doesn't seem to be available any longer. I have to set up a couple of cameras at my mother-in-laws, looking for a 4-8 port POE switch.
TP-Link: TL-SG108PE & TL-SG1008P
Ubiquiti: USW-Lite-8-POE, USW-Lite-16-POE

I started with a set of TP-Link POE switches and Netgear non-POE switches. Worked well apart from the fortnightly network storm that required a restart.

I changed to an all Ubiquit Unifi managed setup for router, switches and WAPs. It has been faultless since and easy to manage. But Ubiquiti might be a bit over the top unless you want/need the management setup for multiple switches/WAPs.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
...So many switches to pick from...
The easy rule of thumb is if you want to have a segmented network with vLANs or Virtual Local Area Networks or some other higher level function you will want to get a "managed" switch.

If you are like the overwhelming majority of home users and simply want a switch that works the "unmanaged" switch may be the better choice.

As a rule unmanaged are less expensive than managed. Most switches from name brand manufacturers are mostly comparable on terms of performance and reliability. When pricing out a switch a used unmanaged switch is almost certainly safe as the switch has no intelligence and so has nothing to compromise or infect. A used managed switch can generally be reset to factory defaults (which you should do anytime you buy a used managed switch) which will remove all but the most formidable infections which you are unlikely to see in the wild.

The majority of functions and features of a managed switch is of no value to a normal home user.

I am using the big corporate switches that I am because I got them from work and I am an IT guy not because I need their functionality and abilities.