Social Security (Login.gov)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I got this message logging into SS today, we Login with a Username/Password. When I looked up Login.gov Policy/Rules I don't like the fact they can get into the device you are using to access your SS info...

1717675215339.png

1717675537850.png

If we are forced to create a Login.gov account, I guess we will use a tablet outside our home network to access SS.
We don't really access SS much, I just signed up for Retirement benefits so I have been lately checking SS.
I am Not confrontable in giving PC access to Any person, company, Gov't, etc.

CORRECTION from @looktall :

Now that I have read the screenshot from the first post a little better it doesn't say they will access your device.
It says they will assess your device.

They are two very different things.
They will assess information about the device.
I would say things such as model, software versions, location, network provider etc.

Say you live in New York and all your authentications come your iPhone and you suddenly start authenticating from a Samsung in California that's gonna raise a flag for potential fraudulent activity.
assess, not access... :banghead: :smash:

Dang, I have been doing stupid stuff like this lately. When I applied for SS Retirement Benefits I put the wrong street address, my phone #'s Prefix (NXX) is one number off from our street address. This stupid mistake on my end took SS 3 months to approve my application.
Thought of changing my phone # since I gave the wrong phone number with our street address in it to someone but found out our new Area Code (NPA) is also very close to our street address, by 2 numbers off. Those 3 numbers seem to get me for some reason.
I know I can pick any phone # Area Code now a days but would be nice to have a local number in this small town, right away when you give a different area code to someone in small towns they quickly know you are a foreigner, also wearing shorts is a big give away in this Farm town too, lol

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My SS login with "My Social Security" was created in 2011 so just now when I logged in today I chose "continue without transitioning" (to create a Login.gov account) so I can't comment about your process. :confused::idk:
Yeah our Login was created long ago too, I got the same option and was able to get in, I was just concerned with the message that they will soon transition from username accounts to Login.gov Sounds like a future forced change...

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So many accounts attach a degree of validation to a security code sent to the cell phone on record and I would dread changing my cell number, I've had this cell number for 20 years now.

It's like my email...I hate using it (it's yahoo!) but I've had it over 30 years! No way would I want to contact all my accounts and change that!

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So many accounts attach a degree of validation to a security code sent to the cell phone on record and I would dread changing my cell number, I've had this cell number for 20 years now.

It's like my email...I hate using it (it's yahoo!) but I've had it over 30 years! No way would I want to contact all my accounts and change that!
I know Security is tuff, especially now a days requiring more and more of our personal info. When I read about the Authenticators (Passphrases), it brought to mind what our Son-in-Law told my wife and I about AI. Presently and in the soon future, AI, having enough data collected on a person thanks to sites like Google and Facebook as well as our shopping habits (likes and dislikes), medical history, hobbies, the list goes on and on, AI will be able to generate a video of a person, after they are dead, and that video will be like an Avatar or Duplicate of that person and not only will you see that person but you will be able to interact, ask questions and get answers as if that person was alive. So basically we will live on in a digital type world even though we are 6 foot under. This is not fantasy, it is presently being developed. It will be the way someone in the future gets their history of a loved one or any person.

1717678236277.png

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
We know from history that any information you provide will eventually be misused, sold, or subject to a data breach. I'm wondering how they "collect" information from the device? Is it the normal info provided by a web browser, or at the other extreme they install an app to get access to anything they want? Maybe time to buy up a few of the cheap used PCs and/or burn phones to keep your important info away from the government and the outfits that harvest your data like google, amazon, and many more, mostly big corporations.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We know from history that any information you provide will eventually be misused, sold, or subject to a data breach. I'm wondering how they "collect" information from the device? Is it the normal info provided by a web browser, or at the other extreme they install an app to get access to anything they want? Maybe time to buy up a few of the cheap used PCs and/or burn phones to keep your important info away from the government and the outfits that harvest your data like google, amazon, and many more, mostly big corporations.
I have been excited with Home Assistant's Assist, I now have a few devices (Mic/Speakers) that I have been playing with. Many others are excited too since we will be able to get rid of Google and Alexa who is 100% definitely listening to all of us...I have caught them many times, the wife and I will be talking about a product or a subject and then here come the Ads on our phones, browsers, even texting...

Been thinking, if they want access to a device, I will just Login through a tablet on someone else's network, coffee shop, etc. I am not familiar with Login.gov and how the security works, it may require an App, not sure.

Reaction score
You know, this is so stupid. Most people that are old enough for Social Security know nothing about IT and will just be so confused, especially with the terminology, that they will have to get their grandkid to set it up for them.

And yes, it will be subjected to data breaches galore.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You know, this is so stupid. Most people that are old enough for Social Security know nothing about IT and will just be so confused, especially with the terminology, that they will have to get their grandkid to set it up for them.

And yes, it will be subjected to data breaches galore.
Calling SS, that use to be an option is now ridiculous, an hour wait. Then think of having to go to their Offices, at least an hour wait there too. I really feel for older people now a days with Tech. taking over...Truthfully Tech. has hindered more than it has helped, IMO...and I came from the IT world. I mentioned putting up a clothes line out here in the country, the wife did not say No but did give me that look, lol. I am just thinking sheets. blankets...the air here is so much cleaner than in the city...well Spring, where we use to live...only thing is if someone is doing a burn and the wind is right you smell it...but we only burn once a month, if that...

OK sorry, got :offtopic: :p

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I set this up 1.5 years ago when we had someone file a return in my name and with my info. I called first, then went down to local office to get them some info, and they told me going forward I should register and login using this:
IDme.jpg

Then separately when taking to them on the phone, they suggested a PIN for all future filings and documents I send or get from them. They sent me the PIN via certified mail

STILL waiting for them to resolve the 2022 filing and the $2K they owe me :rolleyes:

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In Australia the various federal government departments are moving to MyGovID.
Where before you would have one account for each department you might interact with (social security, tax, medicare, unemployment, child support etc etc) you now have one single account that can be used to log into all of the departments.

You verify your ID on your phone and then when you want to sign into one of the departments (in most cases you go to a single website called MyGov and then link to the departments you want), the website will present you with a code and you enter that code on your phone, after which you are now signed in.

It's simple to set up and simple to use.

And because you're ID is verified it can be used by state government as well for things like licensing departments.

One secure account, 100s of sites.

As for the access to your phone, have you ever installed an app on your phone?
They all have substantial amounts of access because it's required to use the app.
Don't approve it and the app doesn't install and/or run.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
There's no real way around it. At least with the one I'm using its 3rd party, but then that opens up a different can of worms

it wont be long before they have us completely by the balls and start allocating what you can purchase/eat/etc and where.

Reaction score
I’ve had an Id.me account for a few years and I use it almost daily when using various IRS websites that require authentication.

A few weeks ago I logged in to Id.me and was greeted with the error that my account needed updating. I clicked on the link to update my profile and was taken to two separate individual profiles (I have the web page print outs).

I tried to contact Id.me but couldn’t find a way to call them.

Less than 5 hours later, all was back to normal but my experience shows that Id.me has/had problems.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like ID.ME will be the way I go when forced. Does not sound like it is trying to gain access to your device...

Thanks Everybody...