Software To Track Internet Data Usage T

Aug 8, 2018
Spring, Texas
Looking for software that will tell me how much internet data I am using.

I am using hotspots from Verizon and ATT to connect my laptop to the internet. I am most interested in how much data I am using for UI3 back to my home. I can't find anything on my laptop that gives an accounting of data usage finer than 24 hour total.

That’s actually what I was trying to do that eventually led me to buying the Firewalla appliance. I tried a number of software progs but they were either to complex or too expensive.

By device, by hour,day, or month

IMG_7730.png

There are lots of paid / freeware available for business to consumer.

Comes down to technical skill, features, and the operating system(s) and hardware you have on hand.

Some just want a turn key solution and this narrows down the options to a paid service / appliance.

Whereas others who have a limited budget and have lots of time the options in the freeware / open source is a great alternative.

Going with open source has lots of advantages as it relates to options. But requires a lot of learning in many disciplines and subjects.

That’s great for those who still have the drive and willingness to learn.

Regardless these are just some examples that are well supported and offer endless features and insight.

PRTG, CheckMK, Zabbix, Nagios, Solar Winds, Observium, LibreNMS, pfSense, OpenSense.

At the end of the day lots of these applications and others are considered in the industry as a NMS.

A Network Monitoring System (NMS) monitors all facets of the network infrastructure, hardware, security, etc.

Some things to consider if and when you decide to use any of these applications is how they will connect to obtain the information.

The vast majority use a standard protocol called SNMP. Whereas others in the Windows realm may use SNMP or WMI.

Others require a small piece of software to be installed so the main application can pull / push those metrics to the application.

That’s great if the system can be updated with this tool but often times it can’t and hence why many enterprise hardware support SNMP.

Other consideration is not how much data is moving but where it’s going to. Being able to literally see every hop once it leaves your computer is literally the holy grail.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to use and the reasons why. :headbang:

Reactions: samplenhold
What I am looking for is something that will give me a little more than the standard Win11 24hours posting as below. I imagine that most of my 451MB by msedge.exe is due to UI3 use as all other use via browser is probably not data intensive. Like web browsing of this forum.

1729400647689.png

IMG_7732.pngIMG_7733.pngIMG_7734.pngIMG_7735.png
So you want to see every ip/site that Edge contacted, up or down, by the hour?

I think you’ll be surprised /overwhelmed

Knowing that a specific device (your pc) contacted various IPs and how much data was transferred is what my appliance does. It can isolate by broad type of activity, upload vs download data, by the hour or day, but not by specific program on that machine.

• Wow
That's way more than I want. I just would like to see how much data I am using for UI3 in a session from my laptop connected to the internet via an ATT hotspot. As I showed above, I can get the amount for Edge for the 'last 24 hours'. So I thought maybe if I check it before I get on edge for UI3, the check my cams via UI3 and exit Edge, I could then check the usage and see the difference. But there was no change. So it is not a running 24 hour period.

But then a few hours later it has changed. :idk:

Reactions: bigredfish
it would do that be seeing the data going back and forth to UI3 over the internet from your laptop. The IP would be wherever your UI3 resides. Home I suppose.

I’m only showing you what it is capable of.

2 clicks would show you how much data is being sent /recieved from your laptop to UI3 over the internet by the hour

Last edited:
Thanks. I will check into it.

See where in the 2nd screenshot it shows ipcamtalk.com ?

That could be instead your home IP where UI3 resides. Simple

It resides on your network, either between the modem and router, or replacing your router depending on how you want to set it up. About the size of a pack of smokes.

So if you are remote, it would show as a connection between your remote IP and the machine on your network hosting UI3

Good luck finding a software solution that is anything close to simple. I’ve tried 3 of those listed , PRTG, Solar Winds, Nagios.

Above my knowledge level on the hotspot but yeah I think so

IMG_7750.png

Does the hot spot have any built-in reporting? If it gave it to you by destination IP, the bulk of data from your home IP likely will be from BI. Unless you're running some other server, etc Which doesn't seem to be the case. Won't be exact but the rest of traffic outbound will be relatively trivial in the scheme of things.

Reactions: bigredfish