Software won't overwrite image using FTP funtion

camo

n3wb
Reaction score
Has anyone figured out how to get these Hikvision cameras to overwrite last image when uploading FTP? This is the biggest weakness I've found needing computer and 3rd party software like BI for website images because the FTP feature won't overwrite existing image and rename. All it wants to do is continue adding images with different names and makes using for website impossible without another software.

Very frustrating I've actually had to purchase computers for the remote weather cam site I have or use my older Stardot's instead of using Hikvision builtin server.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nope, FTP has no protocol to tell the camera the disk is full.. this is not functionally possible... its your FTP Server's job to keep the disk from filling up, not the cameras.

On my FTP based Recorder I ran a local script to cleanup old files, this was the script I used: https://github.com/jakejohns/py-direg

camo

n3wb
Reaction score
It needs to be written into the FTP server section. Many cameras with builtin servers already do this. First camera I've found without the ability to keep single image. Stardot cameras default is keeping 1 image overwriting older image with same name but does have the option for multiple images if needed.

Same with Blue Iris software using FTP protocol I can select to keep 1 image or many thousand.

I'll look at the script and see if I can figure out how to implement. Thanks