[SOLVED] BI Shared Drive Storage (Clips and Archiving) Issue

wiggs7

n3wb
Reaction score
Brainstrust,

I'm continually filling up the local HDD. I have configured the following for NEW

Screenshot 2022-08-10 203600.png

But it continues to store files longer than 2 days and continues to exceed the storage limit until the HDD is completely full

What am I missing?

I note that it has not been transferring anything to 'Stored' NAS drive for months. Is there a permission issue with stored, that prevents the New from clearing?

The shared drive is mapped to the PC, I can browse the stored folder and add/delete through the file explorer. So I'm a little stumped

Screenshot 2022-08-10 203904.png

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
It may not be able to access your stored drive. The username/password you use to start the BI console will be passed as the same credentials to log into that NAS. Are the they same?

wiggs7

n3wb
Reaction score
When you say BI console, do you mean the general windows user account?

It appears I am logged into the BI windows machine with the same user login and password used to access the shared drive. When I delete and add the shared drive it automatically adds without a password prompt, which I assume is a good sign?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Hmm.. If I remember correctly when I had to attach BI to a NAS, I had to make sure the Windows login had both a username/password and then BI passes those credentials to the NAS when it attempts to connect to it. Sounds like you are doing that already.

Do the BI logs give you any indication what the problem is?

wiggs7

n3wb
Reaction score
I've checked all of this and the credentials for the machine, match those of the stored drive.
I can add and remove the NAS share without credentials (because they match)... but it keeps refilling the local drive and not transferring to stored.
I'm at a loss

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I've checked all of this and the credentials for the machine, match those of the stored drive.
I can add and remove the NAS share without credentials (because they match)... but it keeps refilling the local drive and not transferring to stored.
I'm at a loss
Do you run BI as a service and if so is this the same account that you use to login?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes the service credentials obviously need to be correct else the service won’t start, what I meant was does that service account in turn have privileges to access the NAS share without being promoted for a username/password?

wiggs7

n3wb
Reaction score
OK - so might be onto something here.

the service was set to local logon. I hadn't realise the service logon would be what was trying to authenticate the NAS read/write given the users existed within BI/Users. But it does make sense that it would.

when I tried to configure the user logon for the service, I kept getting a service logon failure

Finally narrowed that down to the user access permission to allow service logon

Fixed and this has allowed me to start the service as the BI user, which I can confirm from the BI/Settings/Startup as it shows the username next to the service check item no

I have rebooted, everything started up ok

I'll monitor the local and NAS storage over next 24 hours to confirm if fixed

cheers!

wiggs7

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

Can confirm the issue has been resolved.

Whilst the windows instance was authenticating to the NAS and everything 'appeared' to be configured properly - the service was the issue as it was configured to start as the 'local system account' and not the user account.

The clips and archiving feature is working as configured now the service is starting as the user account as it is the service user that is authenticating to the shared drive, not the BI or windows user account.

Thanks for your help and hope this helps someone else in future if they have a similar issue

Cheers