*SOLVED* VS-IP2M1170B35 - Changed port from 80 to 17, camera works but can't get to the settings via browser

fr1tz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I changed the port in the camera settings from 80 to 17.

The camera works fine with Synology Surveillance Station but I'd like to be able to access additional settings through the browser at 192.168.50.152:17 but get an error.

I reset the admin login and password and know it.

I'd just like to be able to get into the camera settings directly as needed via browser or some other means.

These URL do not work even from within the same LAN.

There does not appear to be a reset button on the camera.

Screenshot 2022-02-11 115245.pngScreenshot 2022-02-11 115547.pngScreenshot 2022-02-11 115815.pngScreenshot 2022-02-11 120154.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I suggest you put Fing on your smartphone, log onto your LAN's wireless with it, run Fing, when it finds the IP you recognize for the cam, perform a port scan and see what comes up...maybe HTTP (was 80 before) isn't 17 after all. :idk:

Last edited:

fr1tz

n3wb
Reaction score
Pretty fuzzy, but looks like port 17 is something other than HTTP.
It says 8000 is http alt, and you stated that was a no go; can you do a hard reset of the cam?
There does not appear to be a hard reset button or place to stick a paperclip. There is one hole that is likely a microphone. I could take it apart and look for a button or a jumper but I was hoping for another option. At least it's still working which is better than nothing. I did set a weekly reboot schedule and other needed settings before I messed up and used a port reserved for "Quote of two day" protocol.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Pretty fuzzy, but looks like port 17 is something other than HTTP.
I think Fing is just associating port 17 with a well known port name, not detecting what the port actually is.

Why not just leave it at 80 if 17 is causing a problem.

fr1tz

n3wb
Reaction score
I think Fing is just associating port 17 with a well known port name, not detecting what the port actually is.

Why not just leave it at 80 if 17 is causing a problem.
I would, but I can't get into the web based gui to change it or reset it.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Duh on my part. Yeah, that would make it difficult.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What's REALLY weird is no HTTP port is mentioned by Fing.
And in the OP's second image, under the "Information" tab it just says "port", not HTTP, RTSP, etc.
And on that same image, what's with that "I/O Port" lower left?

fr1tz

n3wb
Reaction score
There does not appear to be a hard reset button or place to stick a paperclip. There is one hole that is likely a microphone. I could take it apart and look for a button or a jumper but I was hoping for another option. At least it's still working which is better than nothing. I did set a weekly reboot schedule and other needed settings before I messed up and used a port reserved for "Quote of two day" protocol.
The fuzzy other thing is "qotd" I guess it's some limited character server message an admin can post.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, it's an old convention assigned to port 17.

It's not actually running on your cam. Fing is just labeling the port that way because it's port 17 and that's what's tagged to port 17.

fr1tz

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, it's an old convention assigned to port 17.

It's not actually running on your cam. Fing is just labeling the port that way because it's port 17 and that's what's tagged to port 17.
I figured the port may not be able to be repurposed, but I'm just an enthusiast. Hopefully an expert here has a way to is the GUI again.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
It should be able to be if you wanted in most cases. There shouldn't be any other service running on that port. Guess not this time.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like telnet is open. Might be able to get to something that way to reset it but no idea as far as login. Nothing that I see out there for this cam.

fr1tz

n3wb
Reaction score
Looks like telnet is open. Might be able to get to something that way to reset it but no idea as far as login. Nothing that I see out there for this cam.
I had tried using Putty to telnet in but the login and password I set and the default password it came with didn't work.

fr1tz

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok. I finally cracked it! The error when I tried to access the camera via the Chrome browser was:
"ERR_UNSAFE_PORT".

I did some googling of the error and it turned out all of my browsers were "protecting" me from using this unsafe port 17 even from within the same LAN.

So I had to edit the target of a Chrome shortcut with:

""C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --explicitly-allowed-ports=17"

Once I did that, I was able to access the GUI again.

I've never taken a computer class before, so I worry about breaking stuff. Networking is something I've been trying to learn more about. I'm glad to know there are helfpul people here if I have issues as I add to my security cameras.

Hopefully my poor port selection and use of a camera with no reset button will help others know how to fix this issue if it happens to them.

This is where I found the information about how to get the browser to allow me to access the unsafe port:

Fix: ERR_UNSAFE_PORT - Appuals.com

Thanks!

fr1tz

fr1tz

n3wb
Reaction score
Glad you got it resolved but just wonderin'....
Did you ever try Internet Explorer ?
I tried Edge. I'm not even sure if IE even exists anymore in Windows 11. I can change it back and check. I'll post the outcome.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I tried Edge. I'm not even sure if IE even exists anymore in Windows 11. I can change it back and check. I'll post the outcome.
I ask because that should have been my first question in post #2 as many webGUI's of IP cams and NVR's work best with IE11 or 32 bit Palemoon browser.
Not sure about Win 11 but IE11 hides in Win 10, a search will reveal it then can be placed on taskbar or a shortcut made. I use Brave (Chromium-based) as my browser but keep IE11 around for cam configurations. Edge is also Chromium-based and may not work as well as IE11 or Palemoon 32 bit with some cams.

fr1tz

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok. I tried to install Internet Explorer on Windows 11. It said Windows 7 only, but did it anyway. After install I still only had Edge. I was able to add an Internet Explorer compatibility mode button in Edge to the toolbar. So when I received the error trying to access the cam on port 17, clicking the IE compatibility button fixed it. Thanks.