Some sections on Christmas lights do not blink

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought these blinking non-LED icicle lights from Wal-Mart. The ones with a red-tipped flashing bulb located every few feet apart. I hung them around the house, but I noticed some sections do not blink. What could be wrong? The red-tipped bulbs are not burned out, they stay lit.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't really understand how they do it but the red tipped bulbs are what enables the blink. Maybe some of yours are defective.
I haven't used that type of blinky Christmas light in years!! I don't remember ever needing more than one ... or maybe two ... red tipped bulbs per light string though.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
bad flasher bulb. swap which section has a particular flasher if you want to be sure.

Those flasher bulbs work like this: part of it heats up causing it to move and break the circuit, it cools and reconnects. As to multiple, that isn't too common but depends on how the string is wired requiring 2 flasher bulbs isn't uncommon. In this case it's also possible each section doesn't have enough current passing through it for the flasher to activate or you swapped in flasher bulbs from another set that require more current to function.

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
bad flasher bulb. swap which section has a particular flasher if you want to be sure.

Those flasher bulbs work like this: part of it heats up causing it to move and break the circuit, it cools and reconnects. As to multiple, that isn't too common but depends on how the string is wired requiring 2 flasher bulbs isn't uncommon. In this case it's also possible each section doesn't have enough current passing through it for the flasher to activate or you swapped in flasher bulbs from another set that require more current to function.
I actually think I know what the problem is. There's a warning on the instructions saying in extreme cold temperature the bulbs might stay lit. I just tried it now (daytime) and they all blink just fine, it's mostly at night when they stop blinking. When you think about it it makes sense. When it's too cold out the flasher bulb never gets hot enough to cut the circuit. What's interesting is their definition of extreme cold temperature... I live in Phoenix and it gets to about 50 at night, not extremely cold by any standards.

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think I need to hang more lights around them to warm them up.