Son vs rollup door

CodeRage

n3wb
Reaction score

Foremost, minus a brief period of embarrassment the boy is unscathed.
While putting up the PTZ the day before, I was inside the building 16 feet up on an extension ladder and the building made a loud boom. For a split second I thought the sheet metal screws holding the siding in place let loose and I was going for a ride. Fortunately that wasn't the case and everything was fine so I scampered down the ladder and find my son outside laughing and holding a lacrosse stick. He thought it would be funny to whack the building with a ball while I was fishing cable.
Next day I am reading the manual and experimenting with the camera features from inside the house and there was another loud bang. Looked up at the live view to catch my boy bouncing off the door. He comes inside like nothing happened and I just laughed, "Karma can be a real bitch sometimes, eh son?"

CodeRage

n3wb
Reaction score
Aaaaand I know there is no love for reolink. Bought the package before knowing any better, but for what they are doing they get the job done. It wasn't until I tried to integrate a Loryta LPR that I started to discover Reolink's short comings. They work well for what they are being used for but it isn't something I would buy again.

CodeRage

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. He was a good sport about it.
They definitely aren't starlight rated but they are close enough to all points of entry/interest that the built in illumination is sufficient.
We had started with a Blue Iris based system in our last house. I simply grew tired of maintaining a windows box to run it. Now they're on a simple NVR recording 24/7. With 9 TB it gets nearly 2 weeks of retention for 16 cameras running 8MP(I learned that lesson too... mo pixels is not always mo better) and audio.

Gargoile

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Aaaaand I know there is no love for reolink. Bought the package before knowing any better, but for what they are doing they get the job done. It wasn't until I tried to integrate a Loryta LPR that I started to discover Reolink's short comings. They work well for what they are being used for but it isn't something I would buy again.
All kidding aside, I was in the same boat. I didn't know what I didn't know, because..... I didn't know.. From this site I have learned a lot. So I'll just sell my old cameras to those that do not care about capture quality. Also glad your son is Ok.

On the PTZ why did it return home so fast? To me it could have stayed there longer. What if this was someone at night? All they would have to do is run up to your door and just stand there for a second and the PTZ would move away. And with the other camera you wouldn't be able to identify them if needed.

CodeRage

n3wb
Reaction score
All kidding aside, I was in the same boat. I didn't know what I didn't know, because..... I didn't know.. From this site I have learned a lot. So I'll just sell my old cameras to those that do not care about capture quality. Also glad your son is Ok.

On the PTZ why did it return home so fast? To me it could have stayed there longer. What if this was someone at night? All they would have to do is run up to your door and just stand there for a second and the PTZ would move away. And with the other camera you wouldn't be able to identify them if needed.
Good question and the answer is I don't know yet. I still have some experimenting to do with the AI tracking. My guess is that it quit recognizing the tangled mess of body and bike. I am sure there is some kind of dwell time setting, just haven't found it yet. Fairly confident that it has been answered here more than once. Just need to spend some quality time with the search button.
There are bullet cams mounted about 8' up on each door. Those weren't included in the montage because they weren't set to record audio.
I am hoping to use the dahua API to tie in with some door switches on the gate and motion sensors. If sensor X goes off then send the PTZ to a preset for that area. Then let the AI do it's thing.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is an issue with most PTZs (including Dahua) is you cannot set the dwell time. Some do better than others and the setup has a lot to do with it.

That is why multiple spotter cams and/or door switches, etc. are needed to make sure the camera goes to where motion is.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
All kidding aside, I was in the same boat. I didn't know what I didn't know, because..... I didn't know.. From this site I have learned a lot.
Yeah. Guilty here, too. I was actually paying to rent garbage ADT cameras before I first came here. Hindsight is 20/20 once you are exposed to real equipment.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Glad your son was okay. But he seems like a slow learner though, if I hit the door the third time I will learn to stop keep hitting it again and again. :D And make sure to save this clip somewhere and replay to him when he is older.:winktongue: