Sony SNC-EB632R - need to replace the cable

K_S_Snyder

n3wb
Reaction score
I've got a Sony SNC-EB632R that was working fine until recently - pulled it down, and found that the contacts in the RJ45 connector cable were all corroded. Tried cleaning them, but It's still not working. I'm not finding a replacement cable for it anywhere. Anyone know if it's feasible to cut the cable and re-terminate it? Or know where the replacement cable can be found?

Reaction score
I've got a Sony SNC-EB632R that was working fine until recently - pulled it down, and found that the contacts in the RJ45 connector cable were all corroded. Tried cleaning them, but It's still not working. I'm not finding a replacement cable for it anywhere. Anyone know if it's feasible to cut the cable and re-terminate it? Or know where the replacement cable can be found?
You can fix it, but you'll need a cable crimping tool and the right components. It looks like this camera has a female connector that is not waterproof (inexcusable nowadays), which explains the corrosion. So my advice is this:

(1) Cut off the female connector, then crimp on a male jack.

(2) Use a waterproof female-to-female coupler to connect your network cable to the camera cable, e.g.

The drawback is that the waterproof coupler is rather bulky, which may be an issue in your installation.

I would also recommend that you practice crimping RJ45 connectors onto Ethernet cables before attempting it on the camera. You won't have much spare cable length to work with, so you don't want to have to cut off a jack and start all over again.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just insure you note the existing color code of the conductors and which pin they are connected to BEFORE you cut anything.
Below is a blank pinout of a FEMALE RJ-45 so you can write in what you determine:

Camera_RJ45_FEMALE_pinout.jpg

K_S_Snyder

n3wb
Reaction score
I've terminated many a cable. This one has a bulky plastic number completely surrounding its female connector. No way to figure out what pins go where without some careful disassembly. Was hoping that a replacement was available, but I guess I can go that route as well.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This one has a bulky plastic number completely surrounding its female connector. No way to figure out what pins go where without some careful disassembly.
They likely terminate at a connector on a PC board or two inside the cam.
If it's easier to get inside the cam, then you might be able to buzz out the wire colors and pin assignment from there to the outside connector with a VOM, DVM or continuity checker.

Or maybe there's a 9 pin or 11 pin pigtail here that will work.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If it's easier to get inside the cam, then you might be able to buzz out the wire colors and pin assignment from there to the outside connector with a VOM, DVM or continuity checker.

That's a good find on Aliexpress. That cable assembly also includes the sleeve and grommet for the network cable, which solves the waterproofing problem.

I think that opening up the camera and unsoldering the entire cable assembly may be the best strategy, assuming it can be done without damaging the interior.

K_S_Snyder

n3wb
Reaction score

Nice find. Might need to go that route.

K_S_Snyder

n3wb
Reaction score
So, after a bit of disassembly via the mount side of the camera, it turns out that it's a grounded, B-to-B terminated, 1-ft long CAT6. Easy enough to swap out. However, because of the small pathway that the cable has to travel through the mount, I had to terminate it with a normal cable end, and use a coupler. Weatherproof tape around the total.