So's....gots my 3D printer all setup and printing. But...need camera!

Reaction score
Finally got around to installing a CR10s 3D printer. Have done some simple mods to it already (table knobs, swiss hot end, etc). I do have Octoprint up and running on a Rasberry Pi3. Was using a Rasberry Pi v2.1 camera but I think I might of broke it when trying to adjust the focal length. May have to tinker through the week.
Either way... I am spoiled having all Dahua cameras throughout my house that have great image quality (even the older 4231's). So I went looking at Dahua webpage. The only requirement I need is a VERY close focal length...8-12". The only camera that popped up was the Dahua IPC-HUM4231-S2 with a focal length of 0.6m (1 foot?). It is a 10/100 network (fine by me). However, 12vdc. I do not think this little puppy is POE.
Of course, can't find it for sale anywhere doing a quick search (other than $100+). I may have to ask @EMPIRETECANDY
I just would like to stay with Dahua since I've had nothing but excellent images from them.
IPC-HUM4231-S2-right_thumb.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
.6 meters is more on the order of 18 to 24 inches or so. I suspect you'll be stuck wit a cheapie unless you want to open up that Dahua and play with the lens to focus in closer.

Reaction score
.6 meters is more on the order of 18 to 24 inches or so. I suspect you'll be stuck wit a cheapie unless you want to open up that Dahua and play with the lens to focus in closer.
phoey.
if I must go cheapie, I guess I can go USB camera. Seems the Logitech C270 is the 3d printer favorite for USB.
the images that i did see (albeit blurry) with the Rasberry Pi cam were .... not impressive at all.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Why not use a cheapie PoE camera, like the ones being used inside bird houses? You get decent video aright into BI that way. That's what I'd use if I had a 3D printer.

Reaction score
What's the purpose of a cam for a 3d printer?
Just to be able to remotely monitor its progress?
correct. some 3d print jobs last for 12 hours. Gotta keep eye on the progress as the item could become dislodged from the glass plate base and mess everything up. They even have a little AI to watch for messes that will halt the print (maybe...Deepstack Lite :)

Reaction score
Well...bought the little Rasberry Pi v2 camera and had it up and running with Octoprint on a Rasberry Pi. The image was...horrible and also waaaaay out of focus.
Did some research and if you can twist the lens, it will lower the focal point. For 3D printing, we need 8"-12" focal distance which is a challenge for a camera that does not auto-focus.
I broke the dang camera doing that twist. Oh well..lessons learned.
I could of gone with a USB Logitech camera, but naw...that's no fun :) I opted for the Arducamera which i am very happy with. Cheaper than the Rasberry Pi v2 camera as well! Not to sure how to 'focus' this thing....it might be software related, but I have not yet found a need as the focal length is perfect. Of course, the camera is held with alligator clips off to a corner for time being while I print out a bed handle camera mount, which will bring the camera an inch or 2 closer so we shall see.
Yes...I like this Arducamera. Once I mount it, I may get into the finer detail of tuning it up even further. I just dont want to break anything :)
71oe5oMQQeL._AC_SL1500_.jpgScreenshot 2022-01-29 at 17-48-20 OctoPrint.png

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
If that product picture is correct, it appears to have a lock nut on the lens thread so it should be fairly simple to loosen that and adjust away.
I hope so. I bet when I print the mount for it, it will be closer and then will have to tackle the focusing. I'll also have to looking into WDR or some other image enhancements as I have 2 LED bars on each side and it's very apparent.
but what is really cool..it uses the M12 lens mount. So can interchange in/out a whole spectrum of lenses. Not sure what that means for me but I like toys :)

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Most likely it means that you’ll end up ordering 3 or 4 of them before you end up with what you want. That’s the way that it usually goes with those.

If I thought that I could actually find some that I know that I have around here somewhere, I’d offer to send them to you.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this is what my brother bought 3 of a while back: (they have multiple lens / poe options, I'm not sure which variants he got)

Two of them have been watching 3d printers, placed right next to the print bed. They've been running ... eh ... fine I guess. It is basically the definition of cheap Chinese camera, but as long as you isolate it from the internet I don't see the harm if it is just to monitor 3d prints.

Find/inspect worked fine to learn the stream URLs if I recall.

1643520030568.png

Reaction score
Minimum focal distance is 2.8 feet.
However, it does take the M12 lenses. I am not upto speed what all M12 lens assortments are out there. I assume tons since seems the DIY popularity lens mount.
The Arducam minimum focal distance is 4" once you adjust the focus.
Plus, I needed something to plug directly into the Rasberry Pi that is dedicated for the 3D Printer. So would have to use ribbon cable or USB.
Of course later on, I could create an automation between 3D printer, Home Assistant, and Blue Iris to do the same thing. But in this case...Occam's Razor applies :)

Reaction score
Have an old smartphone laying around? With an app one of those can provide direct IP video over WiFi. Overkill but just an idea.

Also will you be printing tough materials like ABS that require heated enclosure temperatures? If so might want to consider the recommended temperature range of whatever you choose.

I’m just using resin 3D printer, but plan to get an FDM printer this year to print bigger and more functional stuff..