Specific request, is this even possible...

mike32162

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
An existing old-fashion doorbell. I'd like to replace it with something BI compatible, must use Wi-Fi, would like the existing chime in the house to ring when pressed, and supply power to it (not POE) via existing wiring. I already have a wired camera above the door, but it is 11' feet high. It covers the approach quite well but obviously an eye level video solution would add effectiveness, plus modernize it.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
An existing old-fashion doorbell. I'd like to replace it with something BI compatible, must use Wi-Fi, would like the existing chime in the house to ring when pressed, and supply power to it (not POE) via existing wiring. I already have a wired camera above the door, but it is 11' feet high. It covers the approach quite well but obviously an eye level video solution would add effectiveness, plus modernize it.
I think the Lorex doorbell camera would support this and there are no subscription fees. You might have to replace your existing doorbell chime and transformer if it's not compatible with the doorbell camera, but that's the case with most doorbell cameras so it's not just a Lorex thing.

mike32162

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think the Lorex doorbell camera would support this and there are no subscription fees. You might have to replace your existing doorbell chime and transformer if it's not compatible with the doorbell camera, but that's the case with most doorbell cameras so it's not just a Lorex thing.

Yeah, I glanced around and couldn't find something so I asked. Don't really want to replace the chime. It's loud AF throughout the house and my parents are used it. Doing their house.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, I glanced around and couldn't find something so I asked. Don't really want to replace the chime. It's loud AF throughout the house and my parents are used it. Doing their house.
If you can get the manufacturer and model number of the existing doorbell chime you can call Lorex customer support and they'll look it up to see if it's compatible with their doorbell camera. My 40+ year old Nutone doorbell chime was not compatible so I had to replace it, and I also installed a new larger 30W transformer.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

elvisimprsntr

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have 3 Lorex 2K video doorbells powered off a single 30VA transformer from HomeDepot. Two connected through a mechanical chime with the chime kits installed.

The third is powered directly off the transformer. WARNING: If you wire it up directly to the transformer, make sure to not select an existing mechanical or electronic chime option during setup. Otherwise, it will blow the non-replaceable surface mount fuse inside the doorbell camera and it will not power up via the screw terminals ever again. Don't ask how I know. Not sure if other manufacturers are the same way.

Front - Rear - Garage Interior
IMG_1263.jpegIMG_1401.jpegIMG_1262.jpeg

16VAC/30VA transformer with a self powered adjustable current sense relay connected to my security system for exterior lighting control.
IMG_1199.jpeg

Custom mechanical chime cover to enclose the two chime kits for front and rear doorbell.
IMG_1290.jpeg

Last edited: