Specs for decent Openalpr machine

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What would be sufficient specs for a 2nd PC to run OpenALPR? I run 20 cams on my primary PC with BI at about 20 percent CPU usage, but with the Openalpr agent running use spikes to more than 90 percent with each passing car) I don't use Deepstack). Having been running Openalpr on an old gaming laptop that's on its last legs and looking for replacement options.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What CPU to you have now? Some have had success moving OpenALPR to a GPU (although I haven't had success but I have an older machine).

I would look into a Jetson nano.

Otherwise, I would go with at least a 7th gen.

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What CPU to you have now? Some have had success moving OpenALPR to a GPU (although I haven't had success but I have an older machine).

I would look into a Jetson nano.

Otherwise, I would go with at least a 7th gen.
Running an HP SFF G2 6700 with 16gb. Openalpr must use a ton of processing power. I was hoping to pick something up used rather inexpensively.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you doing every optimization in the wiki?

I have a 4th gen with more cameras than you and BI idle is at 10% and will jump to 25% or so with a lot motion.

I also run DeepStack and OpenALPR on it for two cameras and total idle is 20%.

I get a weird phenomenon a few hours a day where the nooks and crannies of the asphalt glimmer and OpenALPR sees it at motion and that will peak the CPU at times, but I have knocked a lot of motion out with exclusion and inclusion zone in OpenALPR.

I got a 1030 GPU recently to try to offload OpenALPR too but it made the CPU % worse and OpenALPR would time out, so now I use it for DeepStack and it brought the ms times down a lot.

But yes OpenALPR is a resource hog. What resolution and FPS are you using?

If too high, I would suggest playing with that. In many instances 720P and 10FPS still works and brings down CPU a lot.

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you doing every optimization in the wiki?

I have a 4th gen with more cameras than you and BI idle is at 10% and will jump to 25% or so with a lot motion.

I also run DeepStack and OpenALPR on it for two cameras and total idle is 20%.

I get a weird phenomenon a few hours a day where the nooks and crannies of the asphalt glimmer and OpenALPR sees it at motion and that will peak the CPU at times, but I have knocked a lot of motion out with exclusion and inclusion zone in OpenALPR.

I got a 1030 GPU recently to try to offload OpenALPR too but it made the CPU % worse and OpenALPR would time out, so now I use it for DeepStack and it brought the ms times down a lot.

But yes OpenALPR is a resource hog. What resolution and FPS are you using?

If too high, I would suggest playing with that. In many instances 720P and 10FPS still works and brings down CPU a lot.
I use subs on all the cameras and run most at 15fps. All cams use Dahua AI and Onvif triggers, with no BI motion sensor, except the LPR. LPR is a 2mp 1ZE that runs at 30fps. I use the BI motion sensor only for that cam.

I have a 237 ANLP arriving Monday that I'm going to play with. If the size fits the mounting location, I'm thinking that will provide a better long term solution than the per month Openalpr fees and using the webhook add-on. But if the 237 is too big than I'll keep my current setup and find a suitable second PC.