Split cable from nvr to outdoor camera to use as outdoor access point

Nick1979

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

my dahua nvr has four Poe cables going outside to four cameras. Can I split one cable and use that cable to not just do a camera but also to have a Poe powered access point?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Brown and blue pairs are unused with the cameras if connected to a POE switch, and I assume the NVR built-in switch operates that way. You can buy a cable splitter/combiner pair, or build you own. I run a few camera pairs this way. I also assume you'd need to connect the access point to a separate POE switch. From what I've read about the built in POE switch, it wouldn't work for that purpose. A small possibility would be if you could run a single port in bridge mode. I don't know if that's possible or not.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
1. there are POE combiner splitters - they use fact that Fast Ethernet with POE require only 4 wires - CAT5 cable have 8 - so You can put 2 fast ethernet connections with POE in one CAT 5 cable. This solution use 2 POE ports on switch/NVR side.. Works only with fast ethernet - AP will not have gigabit.

2. there are POE extenders - 4-5 port mini switches powered by POE, which can send POE power to other ports.. You mount this switch next to camera/AP (on external wall, under/above ceiling etc).. This solution requires that Your NVR / POE switch supports POE+ power limit (30 wats per port) - to support 2 devices using POE power (15 wats) connected to this switch. This solutions supports Full gigabit.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Nick1979

n3wb
Reaction score
1. there are POE combiner splitters - they use fact that Fast Ethernet with POE require only 4 wires - CAT5 cable have 8 - so You can put 2 fast ethernet connections with POE in one CAT 5 cable. This solution use 2 POE ports on switch/NVR side.. Works only with fast ethernet - AP will not have gigabit.

Ok starts me thinking I forgot my nvr does not have the Poe build in, I use separate injectors. I have now on one roof two cameras both separate with port of nvr to separate Poe injectors and then to camera outdoor. Could I use this splitter, in case of Poe injector, split one cable and use for both camera’s? In that way I could use the other cable for the access point.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok starts me thinking I forgot my nvr does not have the Poe build in, I use separate injectors. I have now on one roof two cameras both separate with port of nvr to separate Poe injectors and then to camera outdoor. Could I use this splitter, in case of Poe injector, split one cable and use for both camera’s? In that way I could use the other cable for the access point.
in case of passive POE splitter You need 2 switch ports and 2 POE injectors.
in case of POE extender (mini switch) You need only one ethernet port and one POE injector (but it must be POE+ / 30 watt minimum)...

Nick1979

n3wb
Reaction score
in case of passive POE splitter You need 2 switch ports and 2 POE injectors.
in case of POE extender (mini switch) You need only one ethernet port and one POE injector (but it must be POE+ / 30 watt minimum)...
Hmmm, than it becomes too complex I think ☺
Thank you so much for your time and very good advice, much appreciated!

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
View attachment 200754Would you think two of these would work?
Those won't work. They split all 8 lines to both output ports. The example in post #5 is the type that works.
With an injector you're likely out of luck with the simple splitter/combiner because injectors generally use a poe mode that needs all 8 wires. The poe-powered 2-port switch should work. Andy sells one EmpireTech PFT1300 PoE Extender

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hmmm, than it becomes too complex I think ☺
Or use an outdoor-rated POE extender (POE powered POE switch) as @steve1225 linked earlier. I've used a 1in-2out version for over a year now. Just make sure of:
  • Your outdoor access point is 802.3af/at POE compliant and is NOT using passive 24VDC POE power.
  • The one POE injector that you'd power the above POE extender has the power budget (total wattage) to power the camera and the access point.