stand-alone audio recording?

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know this is IPcamTalk, but I thought someone here might have experience with this. I'd like to add high fidelity audio recording to the outside of the house. I see some very small weather-proof microphones (like the Microseven recommended in the wiki). If I don't have a camera that supports audio input, how might I go about a standalone audio recording solution? These microphones use RCA outputs. Maybe microphone connected to a Raspberry Pi to digitize the audio input?

Just seeing if anyone's done similar.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly I would just recommend getting a camera that supports audio input, as it should be far less effort than a raspberry pi to get it working robustly.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I absolutely agree. The less clutter and variables involved, the better in terms of reliability, managements, and performance.

Honestly I would just recommend getting a camera that supports audio input, as it should be far less effort than a raspberry pi to get it working robustly.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Axis, Hikvision and others make Video Encoders that accept analog video & audio signals. Send all mics into a mixer, with a single audio output into the Encoder. Will need to ensure the Encoder can output a stream without a video input signal, and acceptable to BI.
But as mentioned above (and less $$), the same can be accomplished by using a cam with audio input, then assign the audio as needed to other cams.