Starlight vs HIK turrets

Reaction score
Hi Andy, I've came across some of your cameras on Amazon and had a question or two.
I have several Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I 4mm 4mp Turret cameras and think they've got some great day and night quality.

However I have heard some great things about the new Starlight cameras recently and have been looking at the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 2mp WDR
and the IPC- HDW2231R-ZS 2mp starlight IR Eyeball.

In your opinion what is the better of the two starlight cameras? Maybe from a pros and cons perspective.
And how would they compare to my current 4mp 4mm HIK turrets?.

If the quality is much better I'd like to grab a couple of the starlights. One will have sufficient ambient light in my driveway, the other will be in an unlit area of the yard.

I'd really appreciate your input when you have the time, thanks!.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you don’t need a varifocal lens, the newer 5442 Starlight+ models are 4MP and do even better in low light than the 5231/2231.

Forum review:
Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

Between the 5231/2231, they used to use the same image sensor so the image quality was pretty much the same. The noticeable difference was that the 2231 didn’t have a built-in microphone like the 5231 does. Behind the scenes, the 5231 could do three sub streams (two at 1080p), whereas the 2231 could only do two sub streams (one at 1080p), but what the 2231 could do is usually enough for most.

Dahua recently came out with a S2 version of the 2231 that looks to beat the 5231 in terms of low light quality.

Forum review:
Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera

The Hik models you have look to have the standard 1/3” image sensor from a few years back. The larger sensors used in the Starlight and Starlight+ models should do noticeably better in low light.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you don’t need a varifocal lens, the newer 5442 Starlight+ models are 4MP and do even better in low light than the 5231/2231.

Forum review:
Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

Between the 5231/2231, they used to use the same image sensor so the image quality was pretty much the same. The noticeable difference was that the 2231 didn’t have a built-in microphone like the 5231 does. Behind the scenes, the 5231 could do three sub streams (two at 1080p), whereas the 2231 could only do two sub streams (one at 1080p), but what the 2231 could do is usually enough for most.

Dahua recently came out with a S2 version of the 2231 that looks to beat the 5231 in terms of low light quality.

Forum review:
Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera

The Hik models you have look to have the standard 1/3” image sensor from a few years back. The larger sensors used in the Starlight and Starlight+ models should do noticeably better in low light.
Thanks for all the information and Links, I really appreciate It!. I'll get around to reading this info a bit better later in the week when I'm free from work.. this will definitely help me out making some decisions.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I would not get any IP camera with less than a 1/2.8" sensor. The 1/3" sensors have been bypassed with new technology. I find more and more cameras are coming online with the better 1/1.8" sensors in both the Dahua and Hikvision lines. The Dahua's are a great value for the money.