Starvis 2

ropany

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Starvis 2 cameras in the dash cam world is a big thing these days and I'm wondering if the same applies to the surveillance camera world. Are the surveillance cameras using Starvis sensors? If so, any idea on timing of Starvis 2?

Thanks

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I didn't hear about any CCTV camera using Starvis 2 sensor..

Starvis was a big thing in cctv world 5-7 years ago..
when sony sensors were the only one on market which have decent night performance..
Now is almost not a thing..

4 years ago both Dahua and HIK moved from Sony sensors to other companies (mostly Chinese or Taiwanese) which have similar products. Sometimes even more optimized for cctv usage.

The best night performance in most universal cam is Dahua 5442 line - which use very good 1/1.8" 4Mpx sensor from OmniVision and excellent processing.

There is also 5849 Full color line - using Sony even bigger 1/1.2" size 8Mpx sensor - but this line is only available as full color product (white led's, don't see IR) with fixed lens (2.8 / 3.6mm) and problem with shallow depth of field (bokeh effect).

But if You look at 5849 spec - Dahua don't even mention that is using Starvis sensor. We known that this model is using Sony sensor from teardown..

ropany

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow thanks for the detailed reply! I will look into the 5442 line. I was leaning towards the full color 8mp 1/1.2” camera from Andy for all my cameras but now thinking of mix and matching. Our back yard gets lights from neighboring houses but I don’t keep my backyard lights on so not sure if this would be the right camera for that location. Perhaps I will still keep it for the front yard.

if I moved down to an IR 4mp then would 1/1.2 be worth the splurge? I don’t mind that upgrade assuming a camera like this exists.

With the white lights, do they stay on constantly or only when motion is detected? Are they bright? Don’t want to attract unnecessary attention.

Lastly, since you’re quite knowledgeable, what’s A really good NVR that would work with these? I have 6 cameras right now (10y old hikvision) but want to add more via splitting some cables at the existing camera endpoints.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wow thanks for the detailed reply! I will look into the 5442 line. I was leaning towards the full color 8mp 1/1.2” camera from Andy for all my cameras but now thinking of mix and matching. Our back yard gets lights from neighboring houses but I don’t keep my backyard lights on so not sure if this would be the right camera for that location. Perhaps I will still keep it for the front yard.

if I moved down to an IR 4mp then would 1/1.2 be worth the splurge? I don’t mind that upgrade assuming a camera like this exists.
if there will be no light situations, then IR camera (5442) is the only solution. You have very big selection of different models (turret/bullet/dome, fixed lens 2.8/3.6/6.0mm or ZE varifocal 2.8-12mm or Z4E varifocal 8-32mm, normal of premium version with chassis and optics from 7xxx line, white/black)

The only Full Color cams which have sense are: 1/1.2" 8Mpx 5849 or dual sensor/lens 180 degree 5849-A180.
Both works only as overview camera only in places where is some constant light (street light, garden/house light).

if You want to use Full Color cams, the best solution is to mix them with normal 5442. 5442 is ideal for more optical zoomed views - you have variety of lens variants.

With the white lights, do they stay on constantly or only when motion is detected? Are they bright? Don’t want to attract unnecessary attention.

Lastly, since you’re quite knowledgeable, what’s A really good NVR that would work with these? I have 6 cameras right now (10y old hikvision) but want to add more via splitting some cables at the existing camera endpoints.
the white light are very visible to neighbors. and they start to ask question about those cams. So no one is really using white LEDs in Full Color cams..
Also they are not as good as IR light for camera work.

Actual PRO series of NVR is 5xxx-EI.. Depending of how many cams You need look at models like 5216-EI and 5232-EI.. there are variant with and without built-in POE Switch.

They work using onvif with HIK cams. And this NVR model can add AI SMD (motion detection for human/cars) to 8 old cams without AI (or AI IVS to 4 old cams).