Static IP Cams and Xfinity

DGMAX99

n3wb
Feb 13, 2021
Bama!
OK, looks like there have been a few threads semi-associated with this, but I would like to confirm compatibility before I make a change to my ISP.

First of all, I am currently using Starlink and have several static IP cams connected via wireless and unmanaged switches as needed. Everything is working fine, but I am looking at a potential cost savings by switching to Comcast/Xfinity cable which has recently been installed in the neighborhood.

1st question is, does Xfinity play well with IP cameras set with static IP addressing, especially when using a modem supplied by Comcast?

(They are running a special where their modem is supplied free for 1 to 2 years depending on the package selected, but I am not ruling out purchasing my own equipment/model if needed.)

2nd question is, what type of LAN IP addressing does an Xfinity modem use, 192.168.0.XXX or 192.168.1.XXX?

Reason I ask is, I went from 192.168.0.XXX or 192.168.1.XXX addressing when I upgraded to Starlink, and it was a pain readdressing each camera since they are currently independent of an NVR. Although I have an NVR on standby, I am hoping I may be able to retain the current setup and addressing and maybe name any new modem the same as the current name and password.

I like to set static addresses so I easily know where to access each camera.

Any information associated with this would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Don't have Comcast but, like most any other, I'm near absolutely certain that the internal IP addressing can be changed to whatever you want. You don't need to change all of your cams. Just change the internal IP address space on the router to match what you're using. e.g., If it defaults to 192.168.0.x or whatever, change it to be 192.168.1.x. From the way that you described readdressing each cam, I'm assuming that you set the static IP addresses on the cams themselves vs as static MAC reservations on the router. If also on the router, then you'd need to set that all up again along with whatever blocks, etc. you want there.

In most cases you can log into the new router's webGUI and change its LAN/gateway IP and the associated DHCP pool IP's to the same subnet you had before....so much quicker and easier than changing the camera's subnet to gee-haw with the new (different) router. :cool:

EDIT 10/2 @ 1315 CDT to @DGMAX99 : ROLL TIDE!

Last edited:
Whatever you do, make sure
1- the modem they provide allows you to put it in "Bridge Mode"
2- Buy your own Router (Asus/Netgear) and manage your own LAN.

Don''t rely on Comcast box to be your router AND modem