Steps to keep a PC running BI from updating or shutting off.

PinkRose

n3wb
Reaction score
What are the settings I need to change so that my Blue Iris PC doesn't reset or update in the middle of the night and ruin my video recordings?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First go into BI and turn off all automatic updates.

Second either change the 2am DB compact/repair or have it done at a time other than 2am - when the DB is being compacted/repaired, BI is not recording.

Third turn off all Windows updates:

BobbyArcher

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Third turn off all Windows updates:

FWIW You should check out WAU Manager it will do it all automatically.

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@wittaj is it safe to turn off the DB compact and repair or better to schedule it at a different time?

Thanks,

Eric

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many here turn it off and do it manually when they are in the BI console and watching the live view while it compact/repairs.

Many will change it to once a week or pick a time less likely for an issue.

Up to you based on how often you are in the BI console or how safe of an area you are in as to what time to schedule it for.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Something else you should account for are power outages. They will happen, so you need to fiddle with your computer's BIOS and make sure your computer is set to start on return of power. This link provides more information. Many more links here.

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All my systems are set to restart after power outage. I learned that lesson the hard way 30+ years ago when there was a regional power event and the servers in 3 different towns that were about an hour away from the main campus (in different directions) did not come back online after power came back up. We didn't even know it was an issue until the users called wanting to know why they couldn't get into their files.

My requests for UPSs that had been ignored and/or rejected as unnecessary were suddenly approved as was a new request for a remote monitoring solution.

EricB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great, now I have to figure out what time of the day I want to miss having stuff recorded. I am sure as soon as a start a compact/repair, something will occur where recording will be desired.

Sorry dear, no recording of Bigfoot and the aliens because the database was being serviced, but I swear they were there! :D

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Further, something else you should consider, and this is assuming your computer is primarily used for Blue Iris, is to remove all superfluous programs; the crap that comes with Windows. You don't need it. To do this it's not as complicated as you might think, there are scripts out there that do the job. Here's a Google Search link.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you have the database on a SSD drive, the compact repair takes mere seconds typically. Set it for once per week at a time you are typically home.