Still using BI3. Can I import configs to BI5

Pain

n3wb
Reaction score
I have poked around some, and saw the 4-5 migration guide. If it's in there, I missed it.

Been using BI3 for ages for a few cams at a 2nd property. We are moving soon, and I will be buying BI5, and would like to use the old configuration .reg file, if possible.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I would recommend configuring from scratch. So much has changed from then to now that you'd have to look through all the settings anyway to make sure nothing you care about got broken or lost. I think it would be better to start with the current Blue Iris 5 default values and go from there.

If you did try to upgrade to v5 with the old configuration intact, I'm not sure Blue Iris 5 has any code to pull the registry settings from the old 32 bit path into the new 64 bit registry path anyway so it might not work at all without editing all the paths in the .reg file before restoring it.

Bruce_H

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would not recommend doing that, it is unlikely that the settings would be the same and may actually create more grief for you, with just a few cameras it would be better to take screen captures on the old system and manually enter them on the new system, better yet if you can set the old and new system side by side you could then compare the screens and see the differences old vs new

Pain

n3wb
Reaction score
Copy that. I anticipated just grabbing pics of the cam settings and reconfig on BI5, but was curious if it would work by importing the old configuration, and then go through all settings to bring everything up to snuf.

Once all is done I probably will end up with about 10 cams max, probably less. Most of them will be HD at best for now. I'm using old hardware that's been in use for a decade, but it's still operational. Its running a Phenom II 3.2G quad core and I'll probably upgrade to SSDs. Down the road if I have to upgrade the box then I can do that, but for now I just want to get it running while we finish the house and get moved in.

Friday is my first day of retirement, so lots going on :)