Storage Question

biggie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Alright everyone, I am learning every day and seem to be making progress on the implementation of my first system (thanks in large part to this forum). Here's my latest question. I have 2 4tb WD purple drives in my PC dedicated to video storage in addition to my system SSD. I have BI writing to the SSD new file until it reaches 50gb and then pushing the files to the first purple drive F. I would like advice on a way to have the files from drive F automatically copied over to drive G once F fills up. Preferably with the oldest files being sent to G first and followed chronologically. My thought is thatby doing this, it will give me twice the time worth of video. Is there any type of tool for this already available? Any ideas?

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How about putting both drives in a RAID 0 configuation. Performance would be great but there would be no redundacy.

biggie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@dalepa I thought about that,but if one fails I am out of luck with the data on both with that right?

Last edited by a moderator:

dalepa

Reaction score
@dalepa I thought about that,but if one fails I am out of luck with the data on both with that right?
yes, but it's video data right? If you are looking for backup or protection from theft, I suggest looking into putting a drive into a closet for protection and syncing to it.

biggie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@bob2701 That seems like a decent idea. Same thing as storage spaces pretty much.

biggie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@bob2701 no problem at all. My comment to you was more of a confirming question as opposed to a matter of fact. This is all new to me and I surely appreciate your advice.Thanks!

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@bob2701 no problem at all. My comment to you was more of a confirming question as opposed to a matter of fact. This is all new to me and I surely appreciate your advice.Thanks!
@biggie I understand, I just wanted you to know that if I had seen the other comment I would not have posted.