Strange camera behavior

stevep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys, been reading untold amounts of posts to see if I can figure this out but so far no luck!! So here’s the story …. I had a camera from Andy IPC HFW5431 Ep-Z all working ok on a dahua Poe nvr…. One day it stopped working and think it was due to corroded pigtail connection. So replaced the camera thinking it was broken but the other day I rewired it and tested it on a back up Poe nvr factory reset and it popped up on the screen, all good I thought!!! So I then plugged it into an unused port on my current Poe nvr and nothing!! Reset cam again and still nothing!! The weird thing is that I unplugged the camera in port 3 and plugged this one in and it popped up all ok! So tried another unused port and nothing, so tried another used port and works!! It seems that any previously used port between number 1 and 8 work but 9-16 does not, this is what I cannot work out.The Poe nvr has Poe on all ports as don’t use a switch..Any ideas to why this is happening? Don’t want to turn this into a big issue but sometimes you just want to solve a problem????

Thanks for anyone willing to help

stevep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, not sure I made it clear enough so apologies… the rewired camera will work perfect on ports 1-8 but not on 9-16 but any current camera I take out of ports 1-8 will work ok in 9-16!!!

stevep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Like your style bigredfish!! Straight and honest reply !!!! Personally don’t like bourbon but will smash down a few German wheat beers instead

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you plug it into one of the ports you said it WON't work on, and do a factory reset with the button while connected?

And can you very other cams can work on those unused ports?

stevep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes tried factory reset while in that port and doesn’t pop up on registration page….and yes other unplugged cams pop up and get assigned to the relevant port when I move them!! This is so weird

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm wondering if your NVR has separate power supplies for the two banks of ports? Possibly a week power supply on the second bank or exceeding your power budget on that bank. When you test the problem camera on the second bank of ports, have you unplugged all the other cameras off this side? Also how does the power requirements of this camera compare to the other cameras you tested in this bank?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The other thing that comes to mind is that the Poe ports themselves are assigned an IP by the NVR. 10.1.1.65 typically is the first then on up sequentially.

I recall having a camera plugged into the 2nd or 3rd port that took that IP (let’s call it 10.1.1.67) and would not be recognized plugged into a different port. Made no sense and sounds similar to what you’re seeing.

This camera though was on a splitter with another cam. For unrelated reasons I ended up with both of those cameras on an external switch.

stevep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I will unplug them all sometime today , the camera is no more power hungry than what I am unplugging to replace it with and as said earlier the original camera I am unplugging to allow this one on is powering up no problem on the 2nd bank of ports and the other observation is that power is being drawn by whatever camera I plug into this bank even the rouge one as it shows in the Poe section of nvr…!!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, it's been several hours since we heard from @bigredfish regarding this issue so he may have run out to get more bourbon..... after all, this IS a complex problem that requires appropriate mental lubrication. :cool:

stevep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just unplugged all current cams and turned off power on nvr and just plugged the rouge cam in and still won’t connect to ports 9-16 but will work in 1-8 !! Appreciate all efforts but think it’s better to just accept this weirdness and get on with my life

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry got hung up on something else and retired early.

What is the model # of the NVR?

Afraid for now I'd have to leave it in the "mysteries of the World" category. I tried and cant reproduce it.... :idk: