Strange problem with HDMI over ethernet

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I have a particularly strange problem with a HDMI over ethernet line.

The setup is simple:

Dahua NVR 5432 HDMI output -> HDMI over IP (Transmitter) -> RJ45 Cat5E -> HDMI over IP (Receiver) -> 3ft. HDMI cable -> HDMI to mini-HDMI adapter -> Monitor

The problem is that I want to shorten the 3ft HDMI cable to a 0.5ft or 6 inch cable. I tried swapping it to both an Amazon Basics 0.5ft cable and another CableMatters brand 0.5 ft cable. But basically, both cables would not generate an output when using the short cables.

I cannot figure out why the shorter cables (which are based off of HDMI 2.0) and are very high speed 10gbps rated, won't seem to talk properly. However, the cheap ass 3ft. HDMI cable has ZERO issues.

Logic dictates that shorter cable is less resistance and impedance. I have tested the shorter cables elsewhere and they seem fine. So now I don't know what gives.

Is it possible that HDMI 2.0 cable is not fully compatible with devices that are HDMI 1.3 or something?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I think I have read someplace that there is a Minimum on the hdmi cable lengths, I have a few setups running but using 3' cables like yours.

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You mean you can't use 0.5 ft? But you have to use longer?

That defies all electrical engineering logic.

Last edited:

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
You mean you can't use 0.5 ft? But you have to use longer?

That defies all electrical engineering logic.
OK I went and looked again at the spec, For a few of the ones I was using, it was the Ethernet cable length, not the HDMI end of it.

Capturehdmi.JPG