Strange Wireless Networks Popping up in UTAH

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I guess my idea to set up a WISP system for my remote neighbors was not a good idea.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I guess my idea to set up a WISP system for my remote neighbors was not a good idea.
Unless your neighbors are Moose and Mountain lions, I was approached about 2 years ago to get into the helium network, I did a cursory look at it and it was suppose to be a de-centralized wireless network for IOT devices, In my area at the time there were already about 50 hotspots already so I passed on it.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Lol. Based on a little bit of research it seems highly likely those are Helium network nodes run by some entrepreneur(s) with few scruples. I find it hard to believe that could possibly be profitable even "rent-free" like that. But I guess it must have been.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Lol. Based on a little bit of research it seems highly likely those are Helium network nodes run by some entrepreneur(s) with few scruples. I find it hard to believe that could possibly be profitable even "rent-free" like that. But I guess it must have been.
We have them stuck at tower sites, etc with solar power. They stick them up and never ask, let you know they are doing it or anything.
No name anywhere in it.
I know some that have been "repurposed" for the good. :cool: