Streaming wildlife

Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm currently researching how to set up an ip camera & stream a video feed from my garden on the internet either by Youtube or some other means. I've been using trail cameras to capture images & videos in our small garden but now I'm ready to step it up. I have power to garden & wifi/wired internet with excellent upload speed available. The garden is 30 feet deep & currently has at least 4 hedgehog visiting at night & an array of birds in daylight hours. Ideally I'd want to be able to ptz (1 camera) I don't know what I need to set this up in terms of both hardware & software. My budget is £750.00. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm hoping to have a minor league version of a Cornell Bird Cam http://cams.allaboutbirds.org/channel/40/Cornell_Lab_FeederWatch_Cam/

Cheers.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I believe we have someone here who has managed to hack/modify Hikvision cameras to allow streaming direct to YouTube, I think tha'd be the path I would travel if I wanted a public WebCam..

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. Can an IP camera not to stream to Youtube without being manipulated in some way? I would consider other options for streaming.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
without custom firmware an IP Camera can not directly stream to YouTube.. with standard cameras you have to run software on a computer to take the camera's stream and send it to youtube.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Axis cameras (at least some, but perhaps all?) can be pushed to Youtube Live, but you're also paying several times higher price for equal (or perhaps even less) image quality...I'd just get an old laptop or desktop to use as a dedicated camera PC and use that to push the stream to Youtube. One of the free softwares that can do it is FFMPEG, although results tend to vary as to how dependable the stream is. There's paid software that is relatively cheap that also claims it will do it...Of course, if it's a dedicated computer, then all you really need to do is keep the camera feed on the screen and use a free screen capture program to send it to Youtube.