Street Repaving

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
The large machine at the beginning is the cold milling machine. It is removing the old pavement. At the 13:38 mark the road paver can be seen. Amazingly, the street remained open for vehicle traffic while they were working. At times it looked like organized chaos.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's one of the fastest pavement grinders (milling) I've ever seen and in 31 years of public works street maintenance '73 to '04 I saw quite a few....and 29 of those years were in your county of Santa Clara.

Oftentimes they had a lot of stoppages due to the teeth snapping off, but I think the newer generations are improved with harder metals and improved tech.

Ah, I still love the smell of hot asphalt in the morning! :winktongue:

gordo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
An outfit from Kansas did my S Florida neighborhood streets about 3 months ago. Looks like the same/similar equipment. It wasn't like some roadside work I see where 3 people stand around watching while one guy works. Everyone works, even the guys in nice clothes grabbed a broom or shovel. It really is interesting to watch.

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
That's one of the fastest pavement grinders (milling) I've ever seen and in 31 years of public works street maintenance '73 to '04 I saw quite a few....and 29 of those years were in your county of Santa Clara.

Oftentimes they had a lot of stoppages due to the teeth snapping off, but I think the newer generations are improved with harder metals and improved tech.

Ah, I still love the smell of hot asphalt in the morning! :winktongue:
I will post another video showing how that grinder was prepared before it was started. In this screenshot, the guy in the baseball cap next to the lady is the operator. Notice the guy in the straw hat with the large donut.

Street Repaving Preperation.jpg

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
What I see is nobody wearing any kind of ear protection. I foresee numerous people going "huh?" in their future.
That is pretty cool to watch though.
I noticed while editing the video the sound level when the road paver was working had been clipped by the software. It did seem very loud at the end of the video. Also, there were 2 of the grinders. The one in the video is a model #210i, while the one shown in the screenshot is a model #W 380 CRi. I'm not sure what the difference between the model numbers are. In addition, from what I recall, there were at least 2 guys wearing straw hats. The one driving the roller at the end of the video is not the guy with the donut.

DezertManiac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
what was the function of the three with the very shiny vest and no PPE?

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
what was the function of the three with the very shiny vest and no PPE?
Before the work started, a black van stopped at the corner and a group of 7 males got out. They were greeted on the corner by the lady wearing the glasses. This was about 9 minutes before the time of the screenshot above. This group seem to be on a field trip of some type. They all put on vests and took pictures with their cell phones. They stay and observed the work until about 11:15 AM, when the black van came back to pick them up. I didn't see them after that. Here is a screenshot when they arrived.

Street Repaving Preperation Arrival.jpg

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
The 210i simply mills the surface, and the millings end up in the dump truck/trailers to be hauled away for use elsewhere. The 380 CRi actually mills the surface, mixes the millings with binding agents and dumps it right back into the paver (seen later in the video) all in one operation. The millings are a finer grind coming from the 380 because it is re-used right away. On the spot recycling seems to be a newer method, and has mixed responses depending on the area/climate. Some will not use it at all, other areas mix the regrind with fresh asphalt on-site. True test will be determined once the longevity data is gathered after the surfaces have aged.