Stuttering clips on Blue Iris

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
What cams do you have, are they hard wired and what fps and iframe settings are they configured with?

mbh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They are Lorex 4k camera's that are hardwired into my 48 Port POE Unifi Switch, with a 10gig fiber connection to my UDM Pro. I had them connected to my UDM Pro via a cheap HikiVision POE switch to test everything out (no studdering then). I have max frame rate at 20, I am not sure what iframe settings are, can you point me in that direction and I will tell you. I have it record substream continuously and then click over into High Quality for alerts.

I just went into some of the camera settings, and saw this/
1685559916064.png

does that mean it is recordign the main stream continously?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
As a start your fps and iframe should be set to the same, if you look at your screenshot you have /0.50, you need to config the cams so that it shows 1.00

Does your setup have VLANS setup? If not then your cam data will be flooding your home network.

I segregate my cam traffic by using a second network card in my BI PC, all the cams are connected to that 2nd NIC with the main NIC being connected to my home network.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Does the stutter affect live view? If not then it is not a network issue.

I get some stuttering (not as bad as that) during clip playback on some of my cameras but not others, and in one case so far I can eliminate most of the stutter by disabling recording of the sub stream. This is even with the main and sub stream frame rates and iframe intervals all perfectly matched to the same value.

Does your setup have VLANS setup? If not then your cam data will be flooding your home network.
That is not true. The vast majority of "cam data" is unicast traffic which simply goes from the camera to the device that requested the stream. In terms of limiting "flooding", VLANs would only limit the spread of broadcast traffic like ARP and DHCP queries and such which are extremely minimal compared to the relative bulk of a video stream.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Does the stutter affect live view? If not then it is not a network issue.

I get some stuttering (not as bad as that) during clip playback on some of my cameras but not others, and in one case so far I can eliminate most of the stutter by disabling recording of the sub stream. This is even with the main and sub stream frame rates and iframe intervals all perfectly matched to the same value.

That is not true. The vast majority of "cam data" is unicast traffic which simply goes from the camera to the device that requested the stream. In terms of limiting "flooding", VLANs would only limit the spread of broadcast traffic like ARP and DHCP queries and such which are extremely minimal compared to the relative bulk of a video stream.
Now that’s something that I didn’t know.

Would even a cheap dumb switch be able to properly direct a unicast stream between the relevant ports?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Would even a cheap dumb switch be able to properly direct a unicast stream between the relevant ports?
Yes.

You may have been thinking of network hubs which are ancient technology that doesn't know how to send traffic to the correct destination port, so they just replicate traffic to all ports. Hubs were going out of style 20 years ago. These days it is hard to find a true "hub" that doesn't do proper packet switching. If you search for them you just find loads of network switches where the vendor put "Hub" in the name too.

mbh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When I get home I’ll work on the iframe and fps, yes I have them on a VLAN, I can talk to them but they can not talk to the rest of my network… as if by chance someone unplugs the Ethernet and connects to it, they can not get anywhere