Substream/main stream config. Is this possible?

winston_j_allegath

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would like blue iris to record sub streaks 24/7. Then when external onvif motion happens I want deep stack to perform the analysis, then to record the mainstream to my alerts/ clips.

the main thing is I want UI3 and the mobile app to display the mainstream in the feed. Is this possible?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Look in the BI help file.

In terms of recording, in each camera on the record tab select "continuous and triggered". That records sub streams until the camera is triggered then the recording switches to main stream.

In terms of display, on a multi camera view BI uses the sub streams, assuming sub streams are available, but will switch to the main stream for a single camera view. If full streams were used in multi camera views there would be no reduction in CPU utilization and, therefor, no reason to use sub streams.

winston_j_allegath

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Look in the BI help file.

In terms of recording, in each camera on the record tab select "continuous and triggered". That records sub streams until the camera is triggered then the recording switches to main stream.

In terms of display, on a multi camera view BI uses the sub streams, assuming sub streams are available, but will switch to the main stream for a single camera view. If full streams were used in multi camera views there would be no reduction in CPU utilization and, therefor, no reason to use sub streams.
Thanks, I will give that a shot. I`m tryin to get my deepstack dialed in. I`m using the CPU version on an 11th gen i5 1145g7, 64gb ddr4 ram, 1tb NVME boot drive, 1tb mpcie ssd, and a 6TB WD NAS drive.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You may have trouble writing a lot of video streams to your NAS. Not all of them are "created equal" and don't have enough cache to handle multiple streams. YMMV depending on resolutions, frame rates, bit rates and how many triggers happen simultaneously.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
OK. Just be aware that video is constant write process with only occasional reads . That can effect the life expectancy of non surveillance drives, unless their "enterprise" level drives.

winston_j_allegath

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
its and enterprise drive, needs to be replaced soon too. wierd i have 8 cameras, all 4k dahuas at 15 fps, BI is doing the motion and my CPU is only peaking 30%

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Is that 30% with sub streams enabled? I'm running 21, mix of 2MP and 4MP, and the CPU is normally at 20% or less. What does the BI status page show for total throughput down on the bottom right, lightning bolt graph icon on the upper left top bar of the BI console?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm over double that, ~16000Kb/s and ~160M/Ps. Are you recording in bvr and not re-encoding?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Go through this guide, step by step -

Optimize Blue Iris