Suggestions for Far AND Wide Camera Setup

Reaction score
So I have a location where a bit of drama has been happening over a fence facing a footpath and road. Armed robber running away from a crime, burglar hopping a neighbours fence, car crashes etc..
The existing camera has caught these on the very edge of its vision, but since its IR isn't pointing that way it the objects arent much more than a black figure.

I would like to overwatch the full 180 degrees from the house, but given the distance to the footpath/road, its kind of far too. (So far and wide). Existing cam looking up the side of the house is a 5442-ZE turret.essay writer
I'd imagine this would require multiple cameras. Night time is the most important since that is when the "threat" has been happening.

Any suggestions for a possible far and wide setup?

Grey = House
Brown = Fences
Light Red/OrangeColor = Existing Camera POV
Dark green = Grass
Light green = Trees

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I assume you meant to attach an image? What are the distances?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
If illumination is the only issue, you can always get an external IR emitter and point it at the areas needed. Of course that likely isn't your only issue. If you want to be able to use the footage to indentify a person, then you are going to need to pay attention to the DORI numbers of each camera. Long story short, the farther away a person is from the camera, the more "zoom" the camera needs to be able to identify a person. If you have a camera that is providing a general "overview" of a scene, it likely will never have the resolution to provide images worthy of identification. So you will likely need to get cameras that will be able to cover specific areas at a much closer field of view.

I suggest using the IPVM calculator and changing the address to your address and adding different camera models with different FOV to determine what might work best. Pay close attention to the pixels per face (PPF) numbers. They need to be over 50 to stand any chance of identification and they should really be closer to 75 or 100. It also has a good blind spot calculator so be sure to use that. A camera - especially one with a decent amount of zoom - isn't going to be able to see everything from the camera location out. Every camera has a blind spot close to the camera so plan accordingly.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here are my general distance recommendations, but switch out the Dahua 5442 series camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor or equivalent Hikvision works as well.
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm - anything within 10 feet of camera OR as an overview camera
  • 5442 ZE - varifocal - distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer)
  • 5442 Z4E - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • 49225 PTZ - great PTZ and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams.
You need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who.

Main keys are you can't locate the camera too high (not on the 2nd story or above 7 feet high unless it is for overview and not Identification purposes) or chase MP and you need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who. Also, do not chase marketing phrases like ColorVu and Full Color and the like - all cameras need light - simple physics...