Suitable POE Switch?

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello!

I've been lurking for quite some time and have finally decided to start assembling a home surveillance system. I've secured an i7-6700 PC which will host my Blue Iris server. My question is - is this switch a suitable POE switch?

This switch will be located in the basement and will connect most of my cameras - I will likely use another network card to connect a second switch located on my second floor for any cameras that will be upstairs.

Thoughts? Any reason that I should look for a different product?

Thank you!

Ken

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

peotnes

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello!

I've been lurking for quite some time and have finally decided to start assembling a home surveillance system. I've secured an i7-6700 PC which will host my Blue Iris server. My question is - is this switch a suitable POE switch?

This switch will be located in the basement and will connect most of my cameras - I will likely use another network card to connect a second switch located on my second floor for any cameras that will be upstairs.

Thoughts? Any reason that I should look for a different product?

Thank you!

Ken
You need to see if it meets your PoE Voltage (there are a couple of different voltage standards) and Wattage needs. 3750's are great units, but like everything Cisco there are a hundred different flavors on every product. The only clue about PoE is that max total consumption is under 500 Watts, so this is maybe 250 Watts available PoE?

Cisco gear is great, but they make their money on support. Make sure you have some way to get patches as they become available and and find it's End of Life date. Tough to beat this price, but really know your needs vs what this offers.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the response! Looking through the technical docs for this unit says the following:

The Catalyst 3750 and 3750G 24-port versions can support 24 simultaneous full-powered PoE ports at 15.4 watts (W) for maximum powered device support.

Is 15.4 watts sufficient for a POE cam? I haven't found a way to calculate wattage demand for these cameras and it doesn't generally appear to be listed as a spec, unless I'm missing something?

Ken

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Generally, a PoE camera will use about 7-10 watts with the IR on. That number depends on the "power" of the IR LEDs. Some cameras will have higher powered LEDs and usually are varifocal as well. A PTZ can use 15 watts easily and some require PoE+, up to 30 watts of power.

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you don't plan for a PTZ camera, that switch will work fine. If you are using it as a dumb switch, then go for it. If you would like to do more advance things, then you have to be willing to learn how to configure it.

That switch is EOL so there are no new software updates for it. Having said that, it will still have more capability than consumer switches.