Surge protection installation.

Slunkmonk

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello fellow installers,

I am looking for some advice. I would like to protect my system from lighting strikes and induced currents. My question is, what is the maximum recommended distance to place an outdoor surge protection devices next to my equipment?
For example, can I install the protection device no more that 20ft away from the camera in an outdoor equipment box, bonded to an grounding rod that is no more than 15ft away from said box?

I am thinking of using either device, I found on amazon:

or

Please let me know what you think? Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello fellow installers,

I am looking for some advice. I would like to protect my system from lighting strikes and induced currents. My question is, what is the maximum recommended distance to place an outdoor surge protection devices next to my equipment?
For example, can I install the protection device no more that 20ft away from the camera in an outdoor equipment box, bonded to an grounding rod that is no more than 15ft away from said box?

I am thinking of using either device, I found on amazon:

or

Please let me know what you think? Thanks!
You would start by using certified outdoor rated shielded cable, connectors, patch panel, couplers.

All of this would be bonded to a single point low resistance earth grounding point in your electrical service panel.

There must be at least three feet of Ethernet cable before the camera. That comes out of the SPD you intend to use.

There should be another SPD protecting the other side of the Ethernet cable. Which again must have a minimum of three feet prior to the target device.

The SPD you referenced only uses GDT’s. Better SPD’s use at least SAD, GDT at the minimum for lightning protection. More expensive SPD incorporate both SAD, GDT, and RLC network circuit.

Other novel designs use optical couplers, magnets, solid state transformer, and SSR’s.

NOTE: The only solution to reduce the effects of induced voltage (EMF) from a lightning strike is the use of shielded cable!

The braided shield is what rejects the EMF. Any stray voltage that is able to pass through is shunted to ground via the drain wire in the Ethernet cable.

Which must be properly connected and bonded to a single point low resistance earth grounding system.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.