Suspect Arrested

Go3Team

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I didn't catch the arrest on camera, it was out of view at the end of the street. Saw this guy creeping around earlier this morning, and called the local PD. I just put the PTZ up, so my following skills suck.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can you hear the camera moving when you are in the driveway? It looks like he looks at the camera but doesn't seem to think red lights following him around is anything to worry about lol!

suddenstop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wonder if he did not get in any cars what they would charge him with.

Go3Team

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I wonder if he did not get in any cars what they would charge him with.
They told me, just by checking the door, they can charge him. With all the doors he checked, are separate charges. When they update the website later on today, I'll find out what he's charged with.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
During normal operation, following someone with a ptz isn't that hard, but when our guys are following someone and on the phone with the cops, the video looks just like this. Your heart rate is up and you hold the pan button down a little to long. Good capture.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
This happens every now and then in my neighborhood. Those thieves in my neighborhood carry a sack to carry the goods in. I have given two videos to the police so that they can look into it and at least have a good picture of the culprits.

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's an impressive capture. Great work managing to get this guy arrested! I briefly owned a PTZ which was good during daytime, but I returned it after discovering it had no manual exposure controls to reduce some overexposure issues at night. I guess the high end models will automatically detect the interesting parts of the image, and expose those better.

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow, this guy saunters around - doesn't care about being sneaky nor avoiding motion lights - and behaves like he isn't doing anything wrong. Actually it's great social engineering.

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Please specify "Just be checking the doors they can charge him". Is that "Attempted Trespass" or "Attempted B&E"? Probably different from state to state, but interested to know the name of the specific charge.

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I can tell you in CA, any attempted crime is itself a crime, with punishment up to 1/2 that of the original attempted crime. You do have to establish intent to commit the crime. "Attempted Crimes" in California Criminal Law | Penal Code 21a & 664

However in CA, burglary from an auto requires entry when the vehicle is locked. Opening an unlocked door does not count. AFAIK simply entering an unlocked vehicle and rearranging contents of the glove compartment would be "tampering" which is a misdemeanor. What Is Tampering with a Vehicle (VC 10852)? :: Lomita, California Tampering with a Vehicle Attorney Greg Hill & Associates

Since CA Prop. 47 most theft under $950 is a misdemeanor (previously could be felony) and from what I've seen the police aren't usually interested after the fact. But they will take an interest if you find them red-handed, so it's great to see this happen. I'm not usually awake to respond around 3-4 am when our local 2-legged nightlife tends to come by. I guess you could have some alarm that would go off in the bedroom when the door handle is lifted. With the keyless entry feature, our cars must already have that sensor.

Last edited:

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. The video above showed the suspect checking multiple vehicle doors but they were all locked. Good to know the Police were still interested in pursuing him.

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've found these to work great!
Thanks for that tip. I gather this is a PIR sensor, I have found those work well for people (at least the good quality ones, not the cheap type that have many false alarms). However I have never been able to get them to reliably work for cars. Maybe I need to combine both a PIR and a microwave motion sensor to be sure of detecting both cars and people. Or an old-school beam-break system although that takes more install on both sides.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I installed one about 6 weeks ago in a shrub at the end of my driveway. Cars and people, and this morning a 300lb bear, all set it off, but I've yet to get a false alarm with leaves, shadows, bugs or headlights. Now mine is set to approx 23ft distance according to the sensor settings, and it's only 4ft away from one edge of my drive. So far very impressed with it.

Go3Team

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Please specify "Just be checking the doors they can charge him". Is that "Attempted Trespass" or "Attempted B&E"? Probably different from state to state, but interested to know the name of the specific charge.
This is what they charged him with (Virginia - 4 counts):

§ 18.2-147. Entering or setting in motion, vehicle, aircraft, boat, locomotive or rolling stock of railroad; exceptions.
Any person who shall, without the consent of the owner or person in charge of a vehicle, aircraft, boat, vessel, locomotive or other rolling stock of a railroad, climb into or upon such vehicle, aircraft, boat, vessel, locomotive or other rolling stock of a railroad, with intent to commit any crime, malicious mischief, or injury thereto, or who, while a vehicle, aircraft, boat, vessel, locomotive or other rolling stock of a railroad is at rest and unattended, shall attempt to manipulate any of the levers and starting crank or other device, brakes or mechanism thereof or to set into motion such vehicle, aircraft, boat, vessel, locomotive or other rolling stock of a railroad, with the intent to commit any crime, malicious mischief, or injury thereto, shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor, except that the foregoing provision shall not apply when any such act is done in an emergency or in furtherance of public safety or by or under the direction of an officer in the regulation of traffic or performance of any other official duty.

Code 1950, § 18.1-167; 1960, c. 358; 1975, cc. 14, 15.

He was also charged with possession of marijuana & petit larceny - 3rd+ offense.

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So to paraphrase:

Any person who, without the consent of the owner, while a vehicle is at rest and unattended, shall attempt to manipulate any of the levers or mechanisms (of said vehicle) with the intent to commit any crime, malicious mischief, or injury thereto, shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Multiple counts due to your awesome PTZ collecting evidence!