Swann cameras need reboot constantly

Upsidedown

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all. I have 3 Swann nvr systems at 3 different properties. All systems use Poe switches, am having the following problem since day 1 at only 2 of the locations

Cameras just go black once in a while, randomly. Not all cameras as once, just random cameras ocasionally. Not offline, but black. Problem is rectified by rebooting the camera via NVR interface ... Or power cycle of the Poe switch.

I can also sometimes temporarily fix a camera remotely by going into the app, and flipping the video (mirror) and flip it back. Or I can change a setting like white balance to manual then back to auto. This will sort of "wake up" the camera but it'll go black again in a day or so and need another reboot. This happens every month or so, but it's inconsistent and random.

I have put the Poe switches on battery backups, I've also upgraded the switch power supplies but didn't help. The cameras that are not on Poe switches don't have the problem.

The 3rd system which never has this issue is also wired up by Poe switches, same brand as the others. This one is a different style camera (not the bullet cams).

Anyone have any suggestions?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since the cams are on a POE switch, when a cam goes black can you ping its IP from a PC on the same LAN as the cam (same subnet) ?

Is it safe to assume that none of the POE switches are having their power budget exceeded?

Upsidedown

n3wb
Reaction score
Since the cams are on a POE switch, when a cam goes black can you ping its IP from a PC on the same LAN as the cam (same subnet) ?

Is it safe to assume that none of the POE switches are having their power budget exceeded?
I'm gonna try a ping tomorrow when I'm at my parents house, will let you know since one camera is out right now.

I think I'm under budget, that's why I got the upgraded power supply as I thought that was the problem too. It's not a managed switch so can't check anythibg. Even thought I wasn't getting steady power input so I put the Poe switch on a UPS.

Other note, sometimes I can switch the stream of a black camera from sub stream to main stream, and the main stream will be fine! Still ultimately needs a reboot.