Swann DVR8-4575 wireless question

Goldnut2

n3wb
Reaction score
A friend in a very rural locaton has purchased Starlink system. It appears if one disables the wifi from starlink to bypass you loose all wifi from Starlink having to deal with old router. Old router has limited/less range than Starlink. My question is as follows. Will the DVR8-4575 accept a wireless usb connector? My searches cannot find DVR8-4575 model but say DVR8 models will work with updated firmware. I am still in question about purchasing a wireless USB adapter if it will not work. Any advice would be appreciated. The farmer wishes to view DVR cams online. MODS - if this post is in the wrong place - please delete. Thanks Guys/Gals

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I doubt it. Those USB ports on most NVRs are very limited in what it is capable of doing. Most can only accept a mouse and some can't even do a wifi mouse.

Goldnut2

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you mean view them on the LAN where the DVR is located?
If so, can't you connect the DVR's LAN port to a LAN port on the Starlink router?
They had a previous provider and changed as it was very inadequate. Connection was intermittent and the DVR system was tied into the home router/network. Starlink was a major improvement for them. We just have to figure a way to get it tied to the network without disabling the Starlink wifi.

Goldnut2

n3wb
Reaction score
They had a previous provider and changed as it was very inadequate. Connection was intermittent and the DVR system was tied into the home router/network. Starlink was a major improvement for them. We just have to figure a way to get it tied to the network without disabling the Starlink wifi.
There is no Cat 5 connection to the Starlink unless you purchase an adapter and bypass(shut off the starlink wifi)

Coltect

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There is no Cat 5 connection to the Starlink unless you purchase an adapter and bypass(shut off the starlink wifi)
I have the ethernet adaptor for my Starlink and wifi still works from Starlink. They both work fine together, except the ethernet connection is much more stable than wifi. You could also have a wired router or switch connected to the Starlink ethernet and have many wired clients using that, as well as the Starlink wifi.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Connection was intermittent and the DVR system was tied into the home router/network.
You didn't really answer my question, so I'll ask it in a different way. Are you wanting:
  • Access to the DVR while on your LAN (Local Area Network, in your home where the DVR is connected)
  • Access to the DVR from the WAN (Wide Area Network, AWAY from your home where the DVR is connected)
  • Both of the above.

Goldnut2

n3wb
Reaction score
You didn't really answer my question, so I'll ask it in a different way. Are you wanting:
  • Access to the DVR while on your LAN (Local Area Network, in your home where the DVR is connected)
  • Access to the DVR from the WAN (Wide Area Network, AWAY from your home where the DVR is connected)
  • Both of the above.
They are wanting to access from both Wan and Lan - Sorry I missed the answering.

Goldnut2

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the ethernet adaptor for my Starlink and wifi still works from Starlink. They both work fine together, except the ethernet connection is much more stable than wifi. You could also have a wired router or switch connected to the Starlink ethernet and have many wired clients using that, as well as the Starlink wifi.
Thanks - Do you have the bypass enabled or off? All I can find online is that it shuts off the wifi when bypass turned on!