Swimming and fishing

Podagrower

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I spent the holiday weekend paying for many of my past sins. I'm an electrician by trade and I was able to wire our house when it was built 15 years ago. We still had dial up internet, and I knew nothing about network building so I wired the phone jacks in the old loop style. As devices have been added to our network and I've started dabbling in security cameras, I have cursed my name many times over the lack of capabilities. On the bright side, I can attest that powerline ethernet adapters are a viable option for security camera cabling and good WiFi routers can take a lot of traffic.
The company I work for doesn't specialize in data cabling, but there are still parts and pieces about the shop that can be had for free. The good part of that is the parts are free, the bad part is they may not be the latest and greatest. I was able to get all the CAT 5e and CAT 6 cable I could possible need, but the only keystones I could scrounge in the quantity I needed were CAT 5. The only thing I lacked was the motivation to go into the attic and start pulling cables, and I decided it was cool enough over the weekend to go swim in the fiberglass and fish cables to a variety of places.
Camera cabling run to 5 exterior locations, 7 devices removed from the wireless network, BI server relocated to a more secure location. A variety of observations-cheap ethernet cabling (the free crap in the camera box) is a pain to deal with; attics suck; my eyesight is getting worse or ethernet cables are getting smaller. Really happy with the results so far, now it's time to step up my camera game.

Reaction score
I spent the holiday weekend paying for many of my past sins. I'm an electrician by trade and I was able to wire our house when it was built 15 years ago. We still had dial up internet, and I knew nothing about network building so I wired the phone jacks in the old loop style. As devices have been added to our network and I've started dabbling in security cameras, I have cursed my name many times over the lack of capabilities. On the bright side, I can attest that powerline ethernet adapters are a viable option for security camera cabling and good WiFi routers can take a lot of traffic.
The company I work for doesn't specialize in data cabling, but there are still parts and pieces about the shop that can be had for free. The good part of that is the parts are free, the bad part is they may not be the latest and greatest. I was able to get all the CAT 5e and CAT 6 cable I could possible need, but the only keystones I could scrounge in the quantity I needed were CAT 5. The only thing I lacked was the motivation to go into the attic and start pulling cables, and I decided it was cool enough over the weekend to go swim in the fiberglass and fish cables to a variety of places.
Camera cabling run to 5 exterior locations, 7 devices removed from the wireless network, BI server relocated to a more secure location. A variety of observations-cheap ethernet cabling (the free crap in the camera box) is a pain to deal with; attics suck; my eyesight is getting worse or ethernet cables are getting smaller. Really happy with the results so far, now it's time to step up my camera game.
You have my entire empathy and support. I spent too long fishing one end of Cat-5e down an insulated exterior wall yesterday. Took three tries and a fiberglass fish pole to get it run properly. By the time I had finished fighting one end and routing the cable around the end and along the back side of the house, I quit for the day. Kneeling on the rafters had taken it's toll on my knees, and I was in no condition to drill the top plate and drop the Cat-5 down the interior wall. It'll keep until next weekend.