Switch

Amorgus15@

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a question, the purpose of integrating a stand alone POE switch to a system with a NVR is what? I Have six 3849t cameras and a 5216-16 Dahua NVR that is currently connected to my router which is connected to my ATT router/ gateway.
Thanks

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the NVR is not a POE NVR then the cams would need to be powered by some method (POE switch, POE injector or 12VDC wall wart) and then connected to the NVR's LAN port. Out of those 3 devices, the POE switch is the easiest and most logical.

If the NVR is a POE NVR then it's best to have the cams connected to its POE ports where the NVR places them on a separate (different) subnet from its LAN and isolating the cams from the Internet.

In the first case above, connect the cams to the POE switch, the POE switch to the NVR's LAN and the POE switch to the router; do not pass camera video/data through the router to get to the NVR's LAN.

Amorgus15@

n3wb
Reaction score
If the NVR is not a POE NVR then the cams would need to be powered by some method (POE switch, POE injector or 12VDC wall wart) and then connected to the NVR's LAN port. Out of those 3 devices, the POE switch is the easiest and most logical.

If the NVR is a POE NVR then it's best to have the cams connected to its POE ports where the NVR places them on a separate (different) subnet from its LAN and isolating the cams from the Internet.

In the first case above, connect the cams to the POE switch, the POE switch to the NVR's LAN and the POE switch to the router; do not pass camera video/data through the router to get to the NVR's LAN.
Thank you.