Synology NAS NVR vs. a Standalone NVR

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm using the new DS720+, but the DS220+ would be fine, or maybe something less as well. I'm running 4 cameras and CPU % is in the low single digits.
I was looking at the DS1819+ to be used as a large repository for all local computers... I was asking what unit because Synology make surveillance specific units.

Soulmining

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been using Synology for a few months and am very impressed with the software. I use Dahua cameras, and Synology now supports IVS. In Synology, you can write "Action Rules' triggered by IVS and use this to talk to IFTTT for home Automation. I've written rules that has IVS turn on SmartThing lights and Alexa to make annoucments. I've not used BI, but as far as I know, home automation integration to other apps is not do-able in BI. You may want to confirm this if home automation from the cameras is in your plans.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've not used BI, but as far as I know, home automation integration to other apps is not do-able in BI.
It's really easy to do in BI. The equiv of Synology's "Action Rules" are called "Alerts".

BI's "Web request or MQTT" action is similar to Synology's "Execute URL command" action. This is one way to integrate with IFTTT's Webhooks (or skip the Internet and connect directly to your home automation system, if it supports that).

I haven't used Surveillance System for a few years, so not sure if they've added something similar to BI's "Run a program or script" action. That really opens up the door for doing literally just about anything in terms of integration/action response.

IMG_0792.jpg

Soulmining

n3wb
Reaction score
It's really easy to do in BI. The equiv of Synology's "Action Rules" are called "Alerts".
Thanks for clarifying that.
No, Surveillance Station Action Rules cannot run program or scripts unfortunately. I agree BI's implementaton feels a lot more flexible then.
I do think if one owns a Synology NAS already, running the Surveillance Station is a no brainer. The $50/camera after 2 free cameras is steep but its nice to have everything all in one place and their software and support is excellent.

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying that.
No, Surveillance Station Action Rules cannot run program or scripts unfortunately. I agree BI's implementaton feels a lot more flexible then.
I do think if one owns a Synology NAS already, running the Surveillance Station is a no brainer. The $50/camera after 2 free cameras is steep but its nice to have everything all in one place and their software and support is excellent.
I have a Synology NAS but have never tried the Surveillance Station app. I've heard good things though. I agree that their software support is great and I do use some of the other apps. Just felt $50/cam didn't make sense once you start adding more and more cams. Especially when 6 of my cams are $50 Dahua IP5M-T1179EW. And running BI as a VM adds no additional hardware costs.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
and their software and support is excellent.
My only gripe with the support is that it took three years for them to add IVS support for Dahua cameras. Folks from here (my included) had been contacting Synology for that since at least 2017. Better late than never though. :)

Bradyboyy88

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a Synology NAS but have never tried the Surveillance Station app. I've heard good things though. I agree that their software support is great and I do use some of the other apps. Just felt $50/cam didn't make sense once you start adding more and more cams. Especially when 6 of my cams are $50 Dahua IP5M-T1179EW. And running BI as a VM adds no additional hardware costs.
Which NAS of yours can handle BI as a vm? Figured it would max out the cpu since it’s heavy.